Developing a General Formula for a family of Curve Shapes

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a general equation that can generate a family of curves with a specific shape. The proposed equation is 100(1-((-x+100)/100)^(p))^(1/p), where p is a user-controlled parameter that determines the point along the curve where it begins to bend towards y=100. The conversation also mentions the use of a bezier curve as an alternative option.
jmosk
I have a process that requires an operational profile that follows one of the curves in the diagram which follows. I wish to program into the device a general equation that will give me a family of curves of this general shape. The goal is to adjust the parameters of the equation so that I can generate the uppermost curve that rises quickly and at other times generate a curve like the lowest one that is almost approaching a straight line. These curves are not based on pre-existing data so I can't use a curve fitting program to generate an equation to generate additional points on the curve. I need to create a general equation that can then be used to generate any intermediate value along the curve.

In the diagram, x runs from 0 to 100 and y runs from 0 to 100. These represent percentages. So, looking at the diagram, for the uppermost curve at x=25%, y=80% while the lowermost curve is showing that at x=25%, y=50%. Since these curves represent percentages, the y value can never exceed 100. The points (0,0) and (100,100) are fixed points. You can't use a 3 point curve fit where the (25,80) point or (25,50) is the intermediate point, since such a polynomial will generate a parabola whose height exceeds 100. This curve looks more like part of a hyperbola or an arctan function of some sort.

Can anyone give me an idea of how I might find such an equation.

Attachments

• CurvesProfile.jpg
    CurvesProfile.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 433
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What about

[tex]100\left(1-\left(-\frac{(x-100)}{100}\right)^p\right)^{1/p}[/tex]

where [itex]p\geq 1[/itex]

AlephZero said:
You could use a bezier curve.

Thank you. I was considering a bezier curve and was playing around just a few hours before your post with an interactive demo on WolframAlpha to plot different curves. I didn't quite get the series of shapes I am looking for but perhaps with more experimentation I will. I haven't looked into how the implement code to generate points along the curve, but I know its already been implemented in several Abode products.

micromass said:
What about

[tex]100\left(1-\left(-\frac{(x-100)}{100}\right)^p\right)^{1/p}[/tex]

where [itex]p\geq 1[/itex]

Thank you for this suggestion. I would be interested in understanding how you derived that the proposed equation would create the type of shape. I attached a few plots generated from the formula you posted. This is a great start.

For the general curve shape, I need to control the point along the curve where it begins the bend toward y=100. In the attached sample which utilizes the formula posted, for p=10, that bend is greatest at around x=5,while for p=5 it starts around x=10. I need the user of the device to have the option to set parameters to be able to move where this bend starts so that the vertical step from x=0 to x=1 is not so steep. I don't want a 1% change in x to cause an 80% change in y. You can see the difference in the shape of this set of curves versus the sample set that I posted in the original question.

I also posted a 3D plot of the family of curves generated from p=1 to 10. You can see how this equation is biased toward a rapid rise for small increments of x.

Attachments

• SampleCurves.jpg
    SampleCurves.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 420
  • FamilyOfCurvesFromSuggestedEquation.jpg
    FamilyOfCurvesFromSuggestedEquation.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

Related to Developing a General Formula for a family of Curve Shapes

1. What is a general formula for a family of curve shapes?

A general formula for a family of curve shapes is a mathematical equation that can be used to generate a wide range of curves within a specific family or category. For example, a general formula for a family of exponential curves would allow for the creation of various exponential functions with different rates of growth.

2. Why is it important to develop a general formula for a family of curve shapes?

Developing a general formula for a family of curve shapes is important because it allows for a more efficient and systematic approach to understanding and analyzing curve shapes. It also provides a framework for creating and comparing different curves within a family, which can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and economics.

3. What factors are considered when developing a general formula for a family of curve shapes?

When developing a general formula for a family of curve shapes, factors such as the desired shape of the curve, the range of values for the variables, and any known constraints or relationships between the variables are considered. It is also important to consider the intended use of the formula and any specific requirements or applications.

4. How is a general formula for a family of curve shapes tested and validated?

A general formula for a family of curve shapes is typically tested and validated through mathematical analysis and comparison to known curves within the same family. It can also be tested through data fitting, where the formula is applied to a set of data points and the resulting curve is compared to the actual data. Additionally, the formula can be tested through its predictive capabilities, where it is used to make predictions about future data points.

5. Can a general formula for a family of curve shapes be used for all types of curves?

No, a general formula for a family of curve shapes is specific to a particular family of curves and may not be applicable to other types of curves. For example, a general formula for quadratic curves would not be suitable for generating exponential curves. However, it is possible for a general formula to be adapted or extended to cover a wider range of curve shapes within a family.