Detonate a 150 Kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground

In summary, detonating a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground will result in no HEMP (High-altitude EMP) with long range effects, but will generate SREMP (Source Region EMP) with limited range of only a kilometer or two. The nature of the soil does not significantly affect the EMP effect. This information can be found in the official DOD source, Glasstone's The Effects Of Nuclear Weapons.
lnsanity
If I detonate a 150 Kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground what would be the radius of the E.M.P. effect above ground ? If the nature of the soil change the result than give me a couple of soil example like rock, granite, etc... I was assuming that there would be no E.M.P. effect or very short distance effect but someone is arguing with me there would be one so tell me the truth !

Physics news on Phys.org

A nuclear weapon detonated on the surface or underground will generate no HEMP (High-altitude EMP) with long range effects, but will generate SREMP (Source Region EMP), which can be very powerful, but very limited in range, perhaps a kilometer or two. Glasstone's The Effects Of Nuclear Weapons is an excellent official DOD source for SREMP effects.

Related to Detonate a 150 Kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground

1. What would happen if a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb was detonated 77M underground?

If a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb was detonated 77M underground, it would create a massive explosion and release a tremendous amount of energy. The explosion would create a crater at the surface, and the surrounding area would be heavily damaged by the shock wave and radiation.

2. Can a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb be safely detonated 77M underground?

No, it is not safe to detonate a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb 77M underground. The explosion would still have significant destructive force and would release harmful levels of radiation into the environment. It is not recommended to detonate nuclear bombs underground except for specific testing purposes.

3. How far would the effects of a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb detonation be felt?

The effects of a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb detonation would be felt for a significant distance, depending on the specific terrain and weather conditions. The shock wave could travel for miles, and radioactive fallout could spread even further depending on wind patterns.

4. What kind of damage could a 150 kilotons nuclear bomb cause 77M underground?

A 150 kilotons nuclear bomb detonated 77M underground would cause massive destruction. The shock wave and heat from the explosion would damage buildings and infrastructure within a significant radius. Additionally, the release of radioactive fallout could have long-term health effects on the surrounding area.

5. How does the depth of detonation affect the destructive power of a nuclear bomb?

The depth of detonation can significantly affect the destructive power of a nuclear bomb. Detonating a bomb underground can help contain the explosion and reduce its immediate destructive force. However, it can also create more long-term damage due to the release of radioactive fallout into the environment.