Determining what side of a magnet is north and south

• Thread starter PancakeSyrup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of determining the north and south poles of a magnet using data from a lab experiment on induction. The magnet was not labeled, but one end was noted as "flat" and the other as "jagged". The group performed a lab experiment dropping the magnet through a counterclockwise coil and recording the voltage-time graph. From the data, it was observed that when the flat end was dropped into the coil, the voltage-time graph peaks positive then negative, while the jagged end resulted in a negative then positive peak. The question is then raised on which end is north and south, with the group hesitantly determining the flat end as south. Various methods of determining polarity are discussed, including using
PancakeSyrup
I have an issue in determining what side of a magnet is north and south. The only data I have is that garnered from a lab on induction, and I have taken note of the all the polarities of the circuits.

The magnet was not labeled, but we noted that one end was "flat" and the other was "jagged", and labeled it accordingly.

One part of the lab dropped the magnet through a counterclockwise coil. We hooked the coil up to a voltage sensor, setting the left side as positive and the right side as negative. We dropped the magnet through the top, and received a voltage-time graph.

When the flat end was dropped into the coil from the top, the voltage-time graph peaks positive, then peaks negative.
When the jagged end was dropped into the coil from the top, the voltage-time graph peaks negative, then peaks positive.

The question I need answered is, from this data:
Which end is north and which is south?

I hesitatingly determined that the flat end was south, but I would like some confirmation on this, as I don't fully understand this.

I have attached this picture if any part of my inquiry is unclear.

http://imgur.com/XYD0wGu

Physics news on Phys.org
PancakeSyrup said:
I have an issue in determining what side of a magnet is north and south. The only data I have is that garnered from a lab on induction, and I have taken note of the all the polarities of the circuits.

The magnet was not labeled, but we noted that one end was "flat" and the other was "jagged", and labeled it accordingly.

One part of the lab dropped the magnet through a counterclockwise coil. We hooked the coil up to a voltage sensor, setting the left side as positive and the right side as negative. We dropped the magnet through the top, and received a voltage-time graph.

When the flat end was dropped into the coil from the top, the voltage-time graph peaks positive, then peaks negative.
When the jagged end was dropped into the coil from the top, the voltage-time graph peaks negative, then peaks positive.

The question I need answered is, from this data:
Which end is north and which is south?

I hesitatingly determined that the flat end was south, but I would like some confirmation on this, as I don't fully understand this.

I have attached this picture if any part of my inquiry is unclear.

http://imgur.com/XYD0wGu

In our school days a bar magnet would be given to determine which end has north pole and which end is south?
we would hang the magnet by a thread tied in the middle and leave it to rotate in the Earth's magnetic field, after a few minutes it will stay in a north-south position; and the end which was pointing north(geographical) will be marked north and the other end South pole.
Just to confirm it we will use a small compass neddle and normally it will be staying in north soth postion-
then we will bring one side of the 'magnet' whose pole is to be determined to the say north end -if there is attraction- then it must be south and if repulsion it must be north pole.
repulsion being the surest test of polarity.
in your diagram for the readings you can only say that the poles/ends are opposite polarity and it does not help to confirm the pole-type.

It can take a long time for a large lump of magnetised metal to swing round and 'point' NS. Using a cheap and cheerful plotting or hiking compass will give you the location of the poles on the object in no time at all. Other methods that have been described above are also long winded in comparison - although interesting, of course.

Couldn't knowledge of how magnetic fields point at north and south poles not be able to be used to determine polarity? Considering magnetic fields move outwards from the north pole and inwards towards the south pole, couldn't one figure out the magnetic flux, and thus the emf, and thus the current? With the knowledge of which way the current moves (from the emf graph), couldn't we figure out which pole it is?

I do not have access to this magnet anymore, so I'm trying to figure the poles out from the info I have.

PancakeSyrup said:
Couldn't knowledge of how magnetic fields point at north and south poles not be able to be used to determine polarity? Considering magnetic fields move outwards from the north pole and inwards towards the south pole, couldn't one figure out the magnetic flux, and thus the emf, and thus the current? With the knowledge of which way the current moves (from the emf graph), couldn't we figure out which pole it is?

You may, but you need to make sure you know the polarity of your ammeter as well, i.e. you need to know if the ammeter records a "positive" current, which way is the direction of the induced current in a coil. This will then tell you the direction of the induced magnetic field, and via application of Lenz's Law, you can deduce the direction of the original magnetic field.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You may, but you need to make sure you know the polarity of your ammeter as well, i.e. you need to know if the ammeter records a "positive" current, which way is the direction of the induced current in a coil. This will then tell you the direction of the induced magnetic field, and via application of Lenz's Law, you can deduce the direction of the original magnetic field.

Zz.

An ammeter was not used, rather we used a digital voltage sensor. I have included the polarities of the voltmeter, and how they were connected to the coil, thus a current going from + to - on the voltmeter would be recorded as a positive peak, and a current going from - to + would be recorded as a negative peak?

I understand that the principles can be used to figure it out, but I'm not quite sure on how to actually apply and figure it out correctly.

You need to figure out the direction of the current in the coil based on the readings of your voltmeter.
When you see the coil from the top, is the current going clockwise or counter-clockwise.
You know the current conventionally goes from the positive end to the negative one.
So follow the positive end and see how the current circle through your coil.

PancakeSyrup said:
I understand that the principles can be used to figure it out, but I'm not quite sure on how to actually apply and figure it out correctly.
You may need to accept the fact that you may never know the answer to this particular problem because you may not have remembered / recorded everything in exact enough detail. But not to worry. Once you have read all you need to, you will be well placed to know next time, about the Physics and a bit more about doing experiments. Both can be tricky, first time through. :smile:

nasu said:
You need to figure out the direction of the current in the coil based on the readings of your voltmeter.
When you see the coil from the top, is the current going clockwise or counter-clockwise.
You know the current conventionally goes from the positive end to the negative one.
So follow the positive end and see how the current circle through your coil.

When the flat end is dropped, the voltage peaks positive, then negative. Therefore, for the first peak, that means current is moving from + to -, in a counterclockwise fashion. That means, due to the right-hand rule, the magnetic field from the wire is pointing upwards (towards the sky) on the inside of the coil. Thus, the magnetic field from the magnet must be opposite to that created by the wire, and magnetic field of the magnet should be pointing downwards (towards the ground). The north side of a magnet creates field outward, and thus it would be the one to create a field downwards. Thus, the flat end of the magnet is the north pole.

Is this logic and application of principles correct?

It looks OK. If you know that the top of the coil becomes N pole when the magnet approaches from the top, you know that the approaching coil is N as well (so they repel).

Related to Determining what side of a magnet is north and south

1. How can I determine which side of a magnet is north and which is south?

To determine which side of a magnet is north and which is south, you can use a compass. The north pole of the compass will be attracted to the south pole of the magnet, and the south pole of the compass will be attracted to the north pole of the magnet. This can help you identify the poles of the magnet.

2. Can I use the Earth's magnetic field to determine the sides of a magnet?

Yes, you can use the Earth's magnetic field to determine the sides of a magnet. The Earth's magnetic field runs from the geographic north pole to the geographic south pole. Therefore, the north pole of a magnet will be attracted to the geographic north pole, and the south pole of the magnet will be attracted to the geographic south pole.

3. What if the magnet is not labeled with north and south poles?

If the magnet is not labeled with north and south poles, you can use the right-hand rule to determine the poles. Hold the magnet in your right hand with your thumb pointing in the direction of the magnet's movement. Your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field, and your index finger will point to the north pole of the magnet.

4. Is there a way to determine the poles of a magnet without using any tools?

Yes, you can determine the poles of a magnet without using any tools. Take a piece of thread and tie it around the center of the magnet. Then, hang the magnet from the thread so that it can freely rotate. The magnet will align itself with the Earth's magnetic field, with the north pole pointing towards the geographic north pole.

5. Can the poles of a magnet be reversed?

Yes, the poles of a magnet can be reversed. This can be done by subjecting the magnet to a strong magnetic field or by heating the magnet to a high temperature. This process is known as demagnetization.