Determining time to melt an ice cube

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of a piece of ice, its initial temperature, and the time it takes to heat up to a certain temperature when heated by an electric heater. The formula Q=mcΔT is used to find the heat required to change the temperature, and then the formula P=Q/Δt is used to find the power. By substituting the values, the time is found to be approximately 1920 seconds.
mom2maxncoop

Homework Statement

The mass of the piece of ice is 0.25kg.
Heated by an electric heater (assume there is no loss of energy to the surroundings)
Started at -30°C at 0seconds
After 150s the ice cube is -10°C

Homework Equations

Q=mL[itex]_{f}[/itex]
[itex]\Delta[/itex]t=Q[itex]/[/itex]P

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=mL[itex]_{f}[/itex]
=(0.25kg)(330000J/(kg·°C)
=82500J

I know the next step is to use the second equation, but since I don't know the W of the heater, how would I go abouts finding out the time??

Physics news on Phys.org
How about using the time given (150 s for going from -30°C to -10°C) to find the power?

I've tried many different formulas and most don't make sense to me :/

For example this is one of the formulas I've gotten, but it just seems so wrong to be correct because once you put it into the other equation you get like 3 seconds which makes NO sense what so ever.
[itex]\Delta[/itex]t=Q/P

150s = (-30°C-(-10°c)/P
150s = (20°C)/P
150s/20°C = P
7.5W= P

You are making the wrong substitution for Q; you are substituting the temperature difference whilst you have to substitute mcΔT i.e. the heat Q required to change the temperature by ΔT. Try that out and see if it makes more sense.

Q=mc[itex]\Delta\Delta[/itex]t
Q= (0.25)(2100)(0--30°C)
Q = 6300J

(now find the Power)
P=Q/[itex]\Delta[/itex]t
P=6300J/150s
P=43W

Now I can use the first formula I figured out:
Q=mL[itex]_{f}[/itex]
=(0.25kg)(330000J/(kg·°C)
=82500J

Next step would be to find the time!
[itex]\Delta[/itex]time=Q/P
[itex]\Delta[/itex]t=82500J/43W
=1918.65

Woo, I think it's all correct now! Thank you for your help. I knew what formulas to use after I was given a hint after the first one.

Again thank you!
=1920s

Related to Determining time to melt an ice cube

What factors affect the time it takes for an ice cube to melt?

The time it takes for an ice cube to melt can be affected by several factors, including the temperature of the surrounding environment, the size of the ice cube, and the initial temperature of the ice cube itself. Other factors such as air flow, humidity, and the material that the ice cube is placed on can also have an impact on the melting time.

What is the relationship between the size of an ice cube and its melting time?

The larger the ice cube, the longer it will take to melt. This is because a larger ice cube has a greater volume and more surface area, which means it takes longer for the heat from the environment to penetrate and melt the entire cube.

How does the temperature of the surrounding environment affect the melting time of an ice cube?

The warmer the surrounding environment, the faster the ice cube will melt. This is because heat is transferred from the environment to the ice cube, causing it to melt. The rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the ice cube and its surroundings.

Does the shape of an ice cube affect its melting time?

Yes, the shape of an ice cube can affect its melting time. A cube-shaped ice cube will melt slower than a thin and flat ice cube because it has a smaller surface area compared to its volume, meaning it takes longer for the heat to penetrate and melt the entire cube.

How does the initial temperature of an ice cube affect its melting time?

The colder the initial temperature of an ice cube, the longer it will take to melt. This is because the ice cube needs to absorb heat from the environment in order to melt, and the greater the temperature difference between the ice cube and its surroundings, the faster the heat transfer will be.