Determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll.

In summary, the total distance the marble will travel along the flat cardboard surface is determined by the coefficient of rolling friction, which can be calculated by comparing the required force to the weight of the marble. The coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces does not factor into this calculation.
smalveh
Hi guys.

I'm trying to calculate the total distance a marble (I'm modeling it as non-deformable solid sphere) will travel along a flat cardboard surface (I'm also assuming the cardboard does not deform).
The sphere will initially be propelled by a known external force, it can be assumed that the sphere will not slip.
I've tried figuring this out by calculating the rolling resistance that acts on the marble as it moves across the surface, but it seems that this is not possible without knowing the coefficient of rolling resistance between the marble and the cardboard surface.
I'm quite sure I could figure out the total distance if I knew the magnitude of the friction acting on the sphere because I also know the speed at which the marble is launched.
I know the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces as well if that helps in any way.

Any way thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total distance the marble will travel is dependent on the coefficient of rolling friction between the marble and cardboard surface. You can calculate this coefficient by finding the ratio between the force required to keep the marble rolling at a constant speed and the weight of the marble. The coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces will not help in this case because it does not account for how much friction is generated when the marble is rolling.

Related to Determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll.

1. How can the total distance a solid sphere will roll be determined?

The total distance a solid sphere will roll can be determined by using the formula d = π x r x n, where d is the total distance, π is the constant pi, r is the radius of the sphere, and n is the number of revolutions the sphere makes.

2. What factors affect the total distance a solid sphere will roll?

The total distance a solid sphere will roll is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the sphere, the surface it is rolling on, and any external forces acting on the sphere.

3. Can the total distance a solid sphere will roll be calculated for any type of surface?

Yes, the total distance a solid sphere will roll can be calculated for any type of surface as long as the surface is smooth and the sphere is not affected by any external forces such as friction or gravity.

4. Is there a maximum distance that a solid sphere can roll?

No, there is no maximum distance that a solid sphere can roll. As long as there is a smooth surface and no external forces acting on the sphere, it can continue to roll indefinitely.

5. How accurate is the calculation for determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll?

The calculation for determining the total distance a solid sphere will roll is generally accurate, but it may vary slightly due to factors such as imperfections in the surface or the sphere itself. It is important to use precise measurements and consider any potential sources of error when performing the calculation.