Determining the torque and angular momentum of a bullet due to gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bullet fired from a cannon and asks two questions related to torque and angular momentum. The equations for torque and angular momentum are provided and the attempt at solving the problem is also mentioned. The questioner is struggling with determining the radius from the origin and plugging momentum into the angular momentum formula. The answer to the first question is given by the textbook as -v0mgtcosθ in the \vec{i} direction and -(1/2)v0mgt2cosθ in the \vec{i} direction. Finally, the questioner expresses appreciation for any help provided.
texan14

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass "m" is fired from a cannon located at the origin. The shell moves in the yz plane, where "z" is the vertical coordinate, with an initial velocity of magnitude "v0" at an angle θ above the y-axis.
A) What is the torque on the shell, about the origin, as a function of time?
B) What is the angular momentum of the shell about the origin as a function of time? (Use the definition of angular momentum to solve)

Homework Equations

Torque = r x F = r*F*sinθ
Angular momentum = r x p = r x m*v = r*p*sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook says the answer for A) is -v0mgtcosθ (in the [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] direction) and -(1/2)v0mgt2cosθ ([itex]\vec{i}[/itex])

I'm primarily having trouble determining the radius from the origin. I want to say it's v0cosθ*t, and I want to say the force acting perpendicular to the radius is "mg", but then my answer becomes -v0mgtcosθsinθ ... Can someone please help?
Also, I'm not sure how to plug momentum into the angular momentum formula to properly find that for part B.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sin(theta) is always 1, because mg acts perpendicular to r.

curtains forever said:
sin(theta) is always 1, because mg acts perpendicular to r.
:welcome:

Note that this homework is from 9 years ago.

Related to Determining the torque and angular momentum of a bullet due to gravity

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to angular momentum?

Torque and angular momentum are closely related, as torque is the force that causes an object to rotate and angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion. Torque is responsible for changing an object's angular momentum by either speeding up or slowing down its rotation.

3. How does gravity affect the torque and angular momentum of a bullet?

Gravity has a significant impact on the torque and angular momentum of a bullet. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences a downward force due to gravity, causing it to rotate around its axis. This rotation contributes to the bullet's angular momentum, which determines its stability and trajectory.

4. How do you calculate the torque and angular momentum of a bullet due to gravity?

To calculate the torque and angular momentum of a bullet due to gravity, you will need to know the bullet's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. The torque can be calculated by multiplying the bullet's weight (mass x gravity) by the distance from the axis of rotation. Angular momentum can be calculated by multiplying the bullet's moment of inertia (mass x velocity x distance) by its angular velocity.

5. Why is it important to determine the torque and angular momentum of a bullet due to gravity?

Knowing the torque and angular momentum of a bullet due to gravity is crucial in understanding the bullet's trajectory and stability. This information can be used to make adjustments to the bullet's design and improve its accuracy and performance. It is also essential in forensic investigations to determine the direction and distance a bullet traveled before impact.