Determining the support reactions on a frame

In summary: So in summary, there is one external support and one externally applied load in this system. The applied force in the y direction is 600 lbs. and the tension force in the cable is internal to the system.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

Determine the SUPPORT REACTIONS acting on the frame (See Picture Below)

You can see I have drawn the FBD, but I am lost on applying static equilibrium about point "F" because I don't know the distance from point "F" to any other point. In order for me to sum the moment about point "F" I'd need to know the distance from point "F" to ATLEAST point "B". So I'm not sure I have the support reactions set up correctly, any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Statics.jpg
    Statics.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
There is only one external support and one externally applied load in this system. You don't need a dimension from F to B to solve for the support reaction. What are the applied forces in the x and y directions?

How would I solve for the moment about point F then, because I need the Force and distance to calculate the torque.. The applied force in the X-Direction is 600# in the negative direction, and the Y-Direction is 600 # in the negative direction, correct?

Or are you trying to say that I don't need the Couple "CF"?, which would eliminate the need for summing moments..

Last edited:
JJones_86 said:
How would I solve for the moment about point F then, because I need the Force and distance to calculate the torque.. The applied force in the X-Direction is 600# in the negative direction, and the Y-Direction is 600 # in the negative direction, correct?
No, that is incorrect. There is an applied force in the y direction, from the objects weight, but what applied external force is there in the x direction?
Or are you trying to say that I don't need the Couple "CF"?, which would elimante the need for summing moments..
The frame would tip over if there were no couple at support F.

The force in the Y direction would be 2668.93 N, and the X direction would be tension, is that what your asking?

JJones_86 said:
The force in the Y direction would be 2668.93 N, and the X direction would be tension, is that what your asking?
The problem is given in units of pounds and feet, so don't convert the force units to Newtons, as it is unnecessary. The externally applied force in the y direction is 600 lbs. The tension force in the cable is internal to the system. When solving for support reactions, one must look at the externally applied forces only. Is there any externally applied force in the x direction??

Ohhh, so there is no X direction force, so in that case I just need the perpendicular distance from point F to point A?

JJones_86 said:
Ohhh, so there is no X direction force, so in that case I just need the perpendicular distance from point F to point A?
Yes, corrrect,{see edit. this is incorrect}; to solve for the couple. You also need the sum of Fx = 0 and sum of Fy = 0 equations to solve for the x and y support reactions at F.

Edit: In solving for the couple at F, don't forget to factor in the pulley radius, sorry.

Aww, i see now, thanks man! Much appreciated, this has been buggin the crap out of me all day, haha.

Ok, so I got CF = 3600#ft Clockwise Direction, Fx = 0, Fy = 600# Positive direction, sound right?

JJones_86 said:
Ok, so I got CF = 3600#ft Clockwise Direction, Fx = 0, Fy = 600# Positive direction, sound right?
Your magnitudes are correct, and direction for Fy at F is correct. But your couple direction is not correct. you are looking for the couple of the support on the frame, not the couple of the applied load about the support.

Oh, I meant counter clockwise, my bad

JJones_86 said:
Oh, I meant counter clockwise, my bad
OK, good.

Related to Determining the support reactions on a frame

1. How do you determine the support reactions on a frame?

To determine the support reactions on a frame, you need to use the equations of static equilibrium. This includes taking into account the external forces acting on the frame, the geometry of the frame, and the constraints at the supports. By solving these equations, you can determine the support reactions at each support point.

2. What are the types of support reactions on a frame?

The types of support reactions on a frame include: fixed support, roller support, hinged support, and simple support. Fixed support prevents both translation and rotation at the support point, roller support allows only for translation in one direction, hinged support allows for rotation at the support point, and simple support allows for both translation and rotation.

3. How does the shape and loading of a frame affect the support reactions?

The shape and loading of a frame can greatly affect the support reactions. A frame with a larger area and more external forces acting on it will typically have higher support reactions. Additionally, the location of the external forces and their direction can also impact the support reactions at each support point.

4. Can you determine the support reactions without using equations?

No, it is not possible to determine the support reactions on a frame without using equations. The equations of static equilibrium are necessary to accurately calculate the support reactions at each support point. However, there are computer programs and software that can assist with these calculations.

5. How do the support reactions affect the stability of a frame?

The support reactions play a crucial role in the stability of a frame. They help to keep the frame in equilibrium and prevent it from collapsing or moving. If the support reactions are not properly calculated, it can lead to an unstable frame that is at risk of failure. Therefore, it is important to accurately determine the support reactions in order to ensure the stability of the frame.