Determining the possible time interval between two sine waves

In summary: No. Try answering my question first: what, in radians, would a phase shift of a whole period be? Then, what fraction of that would 3/5 pi be?In radians, a phase shift of a whole period would be 360 degrees. So, a phase shift of 3/5 pi would be 180 degrees.
randoreds
ok I just got stuck half way into a problem, I would like it if someone explained it!

Ok the question says, two identical sinusodial waves with a wavelength of 3.0 m and traveling in the same direction with a v of 2m/s. Starting from the same point, just the second waves starts later. and the amplitude of the resultant wave is the same as each of the initial waves.

Find the min. time interval between the two waves

So, I would suppose I would need the phase difference, so I found it and it is 2/3 pi. now I asked my teacher and he said to use this equation to find the time interval.

T/3 = 1/3f

so I get I would just sub for f with v and wavelength

what I don't get is the 3. I see it comes from my phase difference, but could someone explain that a little further. Like what if my phase shift was 4/5 pi? would the equation become T/5 =1/5f ?

because I don't really get where the two goes and how I would know to put a 3 under T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see emptiness...

rollingstein said:
I see emptiness...

Fixed it!

randoreds said:
So, I would suppose I would need the phase difference, so I found it and it is 2/3 pi. now I asked my teacher and he said to use this equation to find the time interval.

T/3 = 1/3f

so I get I would just sub for f with v and wavelength

what I don't get is the 3. I see it comes from my phase difference, but could someone explain that a little further.
That (2/3) being radians?

You know that 1 cycle corresponds to 2 radians.
So then x cycles correspond to (2/3). Find x.

randoreds said:
T/3 = 1/3f
Yes, period = 1/frequency, and you can calculate the frequency from wavelength and speed. What remains is to say what one whole period corresponds to in terms of phase, and what fraction of that is the phase shift you found.

haruspex said:
Yes, period = 1/frequency, and you can calculate the frequency from wavelength and speed. What remains is to say what one whole period corresponds to in terms of phase, and what fraction of that is the phase shift you found.
T

Thanks, I think I get it. just to be sure. Theoretically if I found the phase shift to be 3/5 pi and all the other variable were the same as in the problem. My T would be 2/5 T because one sine wave is 2/5 pi ahead of the other, right?

randoreds said:
if I found the phase shift to be 3/5 pi and all the other variable were the same as in the problem. My T would be 2/5 T because one sine wave is 2/5 pi ahead of the other, right?
No. Try answering my question first: what, in radians, would a phase shift of a whole period be? Then, what fraction of that would 3/5 pi be?

Related to Determining the possible time interval between two sine waves

1. What is the significance of determining the time interval between two sine waves?

The time interval between two sine waves can provide important information about the frequency and phase of a signal, which can be used to analyze and understand various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do you calculate the time interval between two sine waves?

The time interval between two sine waves can be calculated by measuring the time it takes for the waves to complete one full cycle, or by finding the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on a graph of the waves.

3. Can the time interval between two sine waves change over time?

Yes, the time interval between two sine waves can change over time if the frequency or phase of the waves changes. This can be due to external factors such as interference or changes in the environment.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the time interval between two sine waves?

The accuracy of determining the time interval between two sine waves can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measurement tools used, external noise or interference, and the complexity of the signal being analyzed.

5. Are there any applications of determining the time interval between two sine waves?

Yes, there are many applications of determining the time interval between two sine waves, including in fields such as telecommunications, signal processing, and music. It can also be used in various experiments and studies to analyze and understand different phenomena.