Determining the orientation of ellipsoids after 2 rotations

In summary: If you have a vector representation of the ellipsoid, you can use methods to convert it to an angle. If you have a quaternion representation, you can use methods to convert it to an angle. Lastly, if you have a 3D position, you can use methods to convert it to an angle.In summary, you can use a rotation or translation to obtain the appropriate angle to describe an ellipsoid's position.
lemonCBI
I am writing some code in which I am working with ellipsoids. The ellipsoids can be rotated in its body frame with three angles (First rotation is about the z-axis in the body frame, second is about the y-axis in the body frame, and finally another rotation about the z-axis in the body frame). In addition, a group of ellipsoids can be rotated together. This means an individual ellipsoid is rotated in the same manner as before except the point of rotation is not necessarily the center of the ellipse.

My question is how do I calculate the 3 angles (Z-Y-Z) that describe the position an ellipsoid that has experienced both rotations? I have the 3 angles of the body rotation, the 3 angles of second rotation, and the displacement of the ellipsoid center from the point of rotation.

Also, in trying to figuring this out I was wondering if an ellipsoid's position has unique set of angles to describe it or if there are several correct answers (besides multiples of 360)

Physics news on Phys.org
lemonCBI said:
My question is how do I calculate the 3 angles (Z-Y-Z) that describe the position an ellipsoid that has experienced both rotations? I have the 3 angles of the body rotation, the 3 angles of second rotation, and the displacement of the ellipsoid center from the point of rotation.

You can combine a sequence of two or more rotations/translations by representing the transformations as matrices and multiplying the matrices together. Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive page on transformation matrices.

I wonder how you represent the orientation of an ellipsoid. Is it by another set of angles, or by vectors or quaternions? Are they relative to some fixed global coordinate system? I guess you also have a position vector for each ellipsoid? In rectangular coordinates?

lemonCBI said:
I am writing some code in which I am working with ellipsoids. The ellipsoids can be rotated in its body frame with three angles (First rotation is about the z-axis in the body frame, second is about the y-axis in the body frame, and finally another rotation about the z-axis in the body frame). In addition, a group of ellipsoids can be rotated together. This means an individual ellipsoid is rotated in the same manner as before except the point of rotation is not necessarily the center of the ellipse.

Also, in trying to figuring this out I was wondering if an ellipsoid's position has unique set of angles to describe it or if there are several correct answers (besides multiples of 360)

If your points of an object are with respect to the body's origin, a simple rotation will suffice. You can use a linear transformation, or use something like a quaternion rotation and then convert that to a matrix which you can apply as a standard linear transformation.

If you want to rotate with respect to a point that is not the origin, you need to translate the point you are rotating by the negative of the point you wish to rotate around, perform your rotation and then translate back.

If you really want to you could manually pre-compute a final matrix that will be your linear transformation that is composed of all necessary linear maps (translations and rotations) if you really need a speed edge, but modern computers can do this quick enough nowadays.

In terms of angles, with rotations you usually supply them. If however you instead have a final rotation point, you can use methods to extract the angle from these.

Related to Determining the orientation of ellipsoids after 2 rotations

1. How do you determine the orientation of an ellipsoid after two rotations?

To determine the orientation of an ellipsoid after two rotations, you must first determine the rotation matrices for each individual rotation. Then, you can multiply the two rotation matrices together to get the final rotation matrix. This final rotation matrix can then be applied to the original orientation of the ellipsoid to determine its new orientation.

2. What is the significance of determining the orientation of an ellipsoid?

Determining the orientation of an ellipsoid is important in many fields, such as geology, engineering, and physics. It can help with analyzing the behavior of objects under different rotations, predicting the shape of planets and moons, and understanding the movement of particles in a magnetic field.

3. Can the orientation of an ellipsoid be determined using only one rotation?

No, the orientation of an ellipsoid cannot be determined using only one rotation. This is because one rotation can only change the orientation of the ellipsoid in one plane, while leaving the other two planes unchanged. To fully determine the orientation, at least two rotations are needed.

4. What is the difference between active and passive rotations in determining the orientation of an ellipsoid?

In active rotations, the ellipsoid is rotated in physical space, while in passive rotations, the coordinate axes are rotated around the ellipsoid. Both methods can be used to determine the orientation of an ellipsoid, but they result in different rotation matrices.

5. Are there any limitations to using rotations to determine the orientation of an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are limitations to using rotations to determine the orientation of an ellipsoid. These limitations include the assumption that the ellipsoid is rigid and that the rotations are small enough to be considered linear. In reality, the shape of an ellipsoid can change and rotations can be large, causing errors in the determined orientation.