Determining the Mass of a Planet

In summary, the mass of the planet is insignificant compared to that of the Sun, and the mass of the moon will be insignificant compared to that of the planet.
Dakkers

Homework Statement

Suppose that we see a planet in our Solar System that we measure to have
an orbital period (around the Sun) of 18.0 years. We look at it with a
telescope and see that it has a moon. From repeated observations, when
the planet is near or at opposition, we note that the orbit of the moon is
approximately circular, with an observed radius of about 1.2 arcminutes
and a period of 10 days. What is the mass of this planet?

Pplanet = 18.0 years = 567024668 seconds
Pmoon = 10 days = 864000 seconds
emoon = 0
θmoon = 1.2 arcminutes

Homework Equations

P2G(M1 + M2) = (4∏2)a3

L = mvr

M = rv2 / G

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply have no idea where to begin. I want to say that,

mplanetvplanet = mstarvstar

But that ignores the moon and the Earth's positions and what not. Also, I'd have to assume that its orbit is circular, when it doesn't say so in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it would be safe to assume that the mass of the planet is insignificant compared to that of the Sun. Similarly, the mass of the moon will be insignificant compared to that of the planet.

Can you find the orbital radius for the planet? What then will be the Earth-planet distance when the planet is at opposition?

Here's a tip:

when the period is in years, and the semi-major axis in AU, then in those units, the constant of proportionality is just 1. Therefore, Kepler's 3rd Law becomes:

P2 = a3

I think you have to assume that the planet's orbit around the sun is roughly circular. Solar system planets' orbits all have fairly low eccentricity, since the orbits tend to circularize over time. I mean, if you didn't assume circularity, then I don't know how you'd solve it, since saying that "the planet is at opposition" doesn't tell you anything about where it is in its orbit.

If you do assume its circular, then at opposition, the distance between Earth and the planet is approximately equal to the difference between their orbital radii (draw a diagram).

Given this distance, and the angular size of the orbit of the fictitious planet's moon, you can figure out the physical size of this moon's orbit. Given that, and the moon's orbital period, you can use Kepler's Third law (applied to the planet-moon system, rather than to the sun-planet system) to figure out the total mass of the system. If the moon is much less massive than the planet, than this is pretty much equal to the planet's mass.

It could be there's a way to solve for the moon's mass and the planet's mass separately after this. I have to admit I'm not totally sure.

How can we determine the size of the moon's orbit? If we use the arc length formula a = θr, wouldn't that give us the moon's radius and not it's orbit?

Dakkers said:
How can we determine the size of the moon's orbit? If we use the arc length formula a = θr, wouldn't that give us the moon's radius and not it's orbit?

No, it would give you the radius of the moon's orbit. The 1.2 arcmin is the angular size of the orbit, not of the moon itself.

Well. Next time, I think I should read the question properly.

Thanks much :)

Related to Determining the Mass of a Planet

What is the basic concept behind determining the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet is determined by using the laws of gravity and motion, specifically Newton's law of universal gravitation and Kepler's laws of planetary motion. These laws allow scientists to calculate the mass of a planet based on its orbital characteristics and the gravitational pull it exerts on other objects.

How do scientists measure the orbital characteristics of a planet?

Scientists use telescopes and other instruments to track the movement of a planet in its orbit around a star. This includes measuring the planet's distance from the star, its orbital period, and its velocity. By analyzing this data, scientists can calculate the planet's orbital characteristics and use them to determine its mass.

What other factors can affect the measurement of a planet's mass?

The presence of other massive objects in a planetary system, such as other planets or moons, can affect the measurement of a planet's mass. This is because their gravitational pull can influence the orbital characteristics of the planet being measured. Scientists must take these factors into account when determining the mass of a planet.

Why is it important to accurately determine the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet is a crucial piece of information for understanding its composition, structure, and evolution. It also plays a role in determining the planet's gravitational pull and its ability to support life. Accurate measurements of planetary masses help scientists to better understand the formation and dynamics of our solar system and other planetary systems.

Can the mass of a planet change over time?

Yes, the mass of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as the loss of atmosphere, impacts from other objects, and geological processes. However, these changes are usually small and do not significantly affect the overall mass of the planet. In general, the mass of a planet remains relatively constant over its lifespan.