Determining the Handedness of Circular Polarized Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the polarization of a polarized wave that is incident to a quarter-wave plate. The wave is circular, but the direction of its rotation cannot be visualized. The solution involves using the left hand to determine the handedness of the wave by crossing from the slow axis to the fast axis. The image provided in the conversation suggests that the fast and slow axis must be switched to get a right-handed circle. The conclusion is that the polarization of the beam following the quarter-wave plate will be right-handed, regardless of the initial polarization.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

A polarized wave in the y axis, propagates in the z axis and is incident to a quarter-wave plate. Viewing the down from -z to z, the fast axis is 45deg below the x-axis.

Determine the polarization of the beam immediately following the quart-wave plate.

Homework Equations

Conceptual Question, I am not using equations..

The Attempt at a Solution

The wave must be circular but I cannot visualize how to determine whether it is left handed or right handed. I realize that if you curl your fingers in the direction that it rotates, the hand with the thumb pointing in the direction of propagation is the handedness but I can't visualize how the wave curls coming out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't seen any replies yet so I am curious if there are any issues with this post.

Last edited:
Well, I thought about it as I drifted off to sleep last night and I was thinking that crossing from from the slow axis (which must be orthogonal in this case) to the fast axis with the left hand allows for the thumb to be pointed in the direction of propagation. By doing this, I get a left handed curl. Is this correct? So in this case, it doesn't matter where the wave is polarized, as long as it has a non-zero component for the fast axis and a non-zero component for the slow axis, right??

Here is the image I drew for what I am doing.

Attachments

• Birefringement.jpg
    Birefringement.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 482
I believe if you were to apply the image above to the problem I posted, the fast and slow axis must be switched giving a right handed circle, I think.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the properties and behaviors of circular polarized waves. Circular polarized waves are characterized by their direction of rotation, which can be either left-handed or right-handed. This direction of rotation is determined by the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields of the wave.

In this scenario, the wave is incident to a quarter-wave plate, which is a device that can change the polarization of a wave. By viewing the wave from -z to z, we can determine that the fast axis of the quarter-wave plate is 45 degrees below the x-axis. This means that the wave's electric field is rotated by 45 degrees as it passes through the quarter-wave plate.

To determine the handedness of the circular polarized wave after passing through the quarter-wave plate, we can use the right-hand rule. If we curl our fingers in the direction of rotation of the wave, our thumb will point in the direction of propagation. By doing this, we can determine that the wave is left-handed, as the direction of rotation is counterclockwise when viewed from the -z direction.

In conclusion, the wave immediately following the quarter-wave plate is left-handed circular polarized, with its electric and magnetic fields rotating counterclockwise as it propagates in the z direction.

Related to Determining the Handedness of Circular Polarized Waves

1. What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization is a property of electromagnetic waves where the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion as the wave propagates. This is in contrast to linear polarization, where the electric field vector oscillates in a straight line.

2. How do you determine the handedness of circularly polarized waves?

The handedness of circularly polarized waves can be determined by measuring the direction of rotation of the electric field vector. If the vector rotates in a clockwise direction, the wave is right-handed, and if it rotates counterclockwise, the wave is left-handed.

3. What is the difference between right-handed and left-handed circular polarization?

The main difference between right-handed and left-handed circular polarization is the direction of rotation of the electric field vector. Right-handed circularly polarized waves have a clockwise rotation, while left-handed waves have a counterclockwise rotation. Additionally, the two types of polarization have opposite helicity, meaning they spiral in opposite directions.

4. How is the handedness of circularly polarized waves used in practical applications?

Circularly polarized waves have various practical applications, including in wireless communication, satellite communication, and radar systems. By using right-handed and left-handed circular polarization, these systems can transmit and receive signals without interference from other sources.

5. Can circular polarization be converted to linear polarization?

Yes, circularly polarized waves can be converted to linearly polarized waves through the use of a polarizing filter. The filter will selectively block one component of the circularly polarized wave, resulting in a linearly polarized wave with the same direction of polarization as the blocked component. This conversion can also be achieved by combining two linearly polarized waves with perpendicular orientations.