Determining the gain of an op-amp with feedback?

In summary, the voltage at the "-" terminal of the op-amp is voltage divided by the feedback resistor. The current through the input resistor is also equal to the current through the feedback resistor.
richyw

Homework Statement

8242017227_8bf9d9f51b_z.jpg

Homework Equations

I have two "golden rules" I was given which are "no current into the op-amp" and [itex]V_{-} = V_{+}[/itex]

and the open loop gain is infinite

Basically my notes and textbooks are leaving me with pretty much nothing though

The Attempt at a Solution

tried determining the currents like we did in other methods. tried figuring out the case when x=1 and x=0. I don't get how current can flow across the resistor if V_=V+. I'm basically completely lost. No Idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using your "golden rules", given a voltage V_in at the input, what will be the voltage at the + terminal of the op-amp? (Hint: you're looking at a simple voltage divider).

So, what then is the voltage at the "-" terminal?

well I would say [tex]V_{+}=\frac{xR}{(1-x)R+xR}V_{in}[/tex][tex]V_{+}=x[/tex]

and my golden rule says that V_=V+

richyw said:
well I would say [tex]V_{+}=\frac{xR}{(1-x)R+xR}V_{in}[/tex][tex]V_{+}=x[/tex]

Well, ##x\,V_{in}##, right?

richyw said:
and my golden rule says that V_=V+

Good. So what's the current through the input resistor, R?

oops I meant V-=xV_in

the current through the input resistor would be [tex]\frac{V_{in}-xV_{in}}{R}=\frac{(1-x)V_{in}}{R}[/tex]so[tex](1-x)V_{in}=xV_{in}-V_{out}[/tex][tex]1-x=x-\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/tex][tex]\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}=2x-1[/tex]?

if my work is hard to follow I just said that the current through the input resistor must equal the current through the feedback resistor after the "so".

this makes sense to me now so I hope it's correct haha.

Looks good. For someone who started out with "no idea", you've carried it off nicely :smile:

thanks a lot. I guess usually I just have "no idea where to start". sucks on exams!

Related to Determining the gain of an op-amp with feedback?

1. What is an op-amp and why is it important in electronic circuits?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic component that amplifies the voltage difference between its two input terminals. It is important in electronic circuits because it can be used to perform a wide range of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, differentiation, and integration.

2. What is feedback and how does it affect the gain of an op-amp?

Feedback refers to the process of feeding a portion of the output signal back to the input of an op-amp. This affects the gain of an op-amp by controlling the amount of output signal that is fed back to the input. Depending on the type of feedback (positive or negative) and the amount of feedback, the gain of an op-amp can be increased or decreased.

3. How is the gain of an op-amp with feedback determined?

The gain of an op-amp with feedback is determined by the ratio of the feedback resistance to the input resistance. This is known as the closed-loop gain and is calculated using the formula Acl = -Rf/Rin, where Rf is the feedback resistance and Rin is the input resistance. It is important to note that the feedback resistance must be larger than the input resistance for a stable and accurate gain.

4. What is the difference between inverting and non-inverting feedback in op-amps?

Inverting feedback refers to a configuration in which the feedback signal is fed back to the inverting input terminal of the op-amp, while non-inverting feedback refers to a configuration in which the feedback signal is fed back to the non-inverting input terminal. Inverting feedback results in a negative gain, while non-inverting feedback results in a positive gain.

5. How does the choice of feedback resistance affect the gain of an op-amp?

The choice of feedback resistance affects the gain of an op-amp by directly influencing the amount of feedback. A larger feedback resistance will result in a larger amount of feedback, which decreases the gain. Conversely, a smaller feedback resistance will result in a smaller amount of feedback, increasing the gain. It is important to choose the appropriate feedback resistance for the desired gain in an op-amp circuit.