Determining the appropriate analysis method

In summary, the speaker is a human factors major who needs to include a statistical analysis in their thesis due to taking one stats class. They have collected noise samples from three vehicles and are trying to prove that the data sets are from the same population to show that the vehicles have similar noise levels. They are seeking help and have posted in a forum for assistance.
73tyler
So here's the deal. I'm a human factors major and because I had a single stats class I am required to have a statistical analysis in my thesis. With that said it was a few years ago and wasn't my strong suit anyway. Here is what I am trying to do.
I have taken noise samples from three vehicles to determine how much noise the crew members are subject to while operating. I have average decibel levels for five individuals per vehicle. My goal is prove that the data sets are all from the same population which I believe would mean the vehicles operate at approx the same noise level.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB! (Star)

I have deleted the duplicate thread posted in our Pre-University "Basic Probability and Statistics" subforum, as I feel you will get more appropriate help here.

We do ask that a thread be posted only once in the most appropriate area to avoid redundancy and potential duplication of effort on the part of our helpers, whose time is very valuable. (Smile)

Thanks. I figured that would happen. I didn't see this group until I posted in the other one.

Related to Determining the appropriate analysis method

1. What factors should be considered when determining the appropriate analysis method?

The factors that should be considered when determining the appropriate analysis method include the research question or hypothesis, the type of data being analyzed, the sample size, the level of measurement, and the statistical assumptions of the data.

2. How do I know which statistical test to use for my data?

The appropriate statistical test will depend on the type of data being analyzed and the research question or hypothesis. Commonly used tests include t-tests, ANOVA, regression analysis, and chi-square tests. Consulting with a statistician or conducting a literature review can also help in selecting the appropriate test.

3. Can I use the same analysis method for different types of data?

No, different types of data require different analysis methods. For example, categorical data may require a chi-square test while continuous data may require a t-test or regression analysis. It is important to select the appropriate analysis method for the type of data being analyzed.

4. How do I determine if my data meets the assumptions for a certain analysis method?

The assumptions for each analysis method can vary, but common assumptions include normality, linearity, and homogeneity of variance. These assumptions can be checked through visual inspection of graphs or statistical tests. If the assumptions are not met, alternative analysis methods may need to be considered or the data may need to be transformed.

5. Is it possible to use multiple analysis methods on the same data?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple analysis methods on the same data. In fact, it is often recommended to use more than one analysis method to confirm the results and ensure the validity of the findings. However, it is important to consider the potential for inflated Type I error rates when using multiple tests on the same data.