Determining speed and height on a roller coaster

In summary: For point C:PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2PE=mgyKE=1/2mv^2For point E:PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2PE=mgyKE=1/2mv^2For point D:PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2PE=mgyKE=1/2mv^2In summary, at point B, the car has a speed of 44.3 cm/s. at point
crushedcorn

Homework Statement

One car (m=80.0 kg) tracks through the roller coaster in the following diagram. As it passes point A, it has a speed of 50.0 cm/s.

a) Determine the speed at points B, C, and E
b) If the speed at point D is _______, determine it's height (ignore friction)

Ch 5 Roller Coaster.jpeg

Homework Equations

PE1 + KE1=PE2 + KE2
PE=mgy
KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I correctly got the velocity for point B as 44.3 m/s (1/2mv^2=mgy, 1/2(80 kg)v^2=(80kg)(9.80m/s^2)(100m). However, when I apply the same formula to points C and E my answer doesn't match that of the answer key.

Point C: (80 kg)(9.80 m/s^2)(38 m)=1/2(80 kg)v^2, v=27.3 m/s. Answer key answer: 34.9 m/s

Point E: (80 kg)(9.80 m/s^s)(20 m)=1/2(80 kg)v^2, v=19.8 m/s. Answer key answer: 39.6 m/s

b) 1/2(80 kg)v^2=(80 kg)(9.80 m/s^2)y. I can simplify this equation but I don't know how to solve this as I would have 2 variables that I need to solve for.

Thank you for your wonderful brains on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
You quoted the equation: PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2
You used the equation: PE = KE

Likes crushedcorn
Don't get confused with ΔPE=ΔKE

PE1 + KE1=PE2 + KE2 becomes PE=KE because, for example, at point C KE1=0 and PE2=0, so I end up using the PE1=KE2 equation.

How am I confusing ΔPE with ΔKE?

KE1≠0 PE2≠0

You haven't used the fact that it's moving at 0.5ms-1 at A

You aren't confusing ΔKE with ΔPE. From your work it appears you are confusing ΔKE=ΔPE with KE=PE

Last edited:
Likes crushedcorn
Total energy conserved:

mgy1+1/2 mv12=mgy2+1/2 mv22

For point B:
1/2(80kg)v2+(80kg)g0=(80kg)(9.80ms-2)(100m)+1/2(80kg)(0.5ms-1)2

The only reason you got the first part "right" is because 1/2(80kg)(0.5ms-1) is really small compared to (80kg)(9.80ms-2)(100m) and so it didn't make a noticable difference to the answer

Likes crushedcorn
You want to use:

PEA+KEA=(80kg)(9.80ms-2)(100m)+1/2(80kg)(0.5ms-1)2=PEx+KEx=mgy+1/2mv2

For all but the last parts, y is known

For the last part, v is known

Last edited:
Likes crushedcorn

1. How is the speed of a roller coaster determined?

The speed of a roller coaster is determined by measuring the distance and time it takes to complete a certain portion of the ride. This is usually done using sensors and timing devices placed along the track.

2. What units are used to measure speed on a roller coaster?

The speed of a roller coaster is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h). It can also be measured in feet per second (fps) or meters per second (m/s).

3. How is the height of a roller coaster calculated?

The height of a roller coaster is calculated by measuring the vertical distance between the highest and lowest points of the ride. This can be done using surveying tools or by using mathematical equations based on the shape of the track.

4. Is the speed of a roller coaster the same throughout the entire ride?

No, the speed of a roller coaster varies throughout the ride depending on the design of the track. In some parts, the coaster may accelerate to reach high speeds, while in other parts it may slow down due to turns or inclines.

5. How accurate are the speed and height measurements on a roller coaster?

The accuracy of speed and height measurements on a roller coaster depends on the precision of the equipment and methods used. Generally, modern roller coasters have highly accurate sensors and calculations, resulting in very precise measurements.