Determining Signal Transmission Speed in a Transmission Line

In summary, the speed of signal transmission in a transmission line is determined by the inductance and capacitance per unit length of the line, which may vary depending on the type of dielectric used. This is different from the conductivity of the metal used, which only affects the losses in the line. The exact relation between speed and inductance and capacitance may vary depending on the transmission line, but generally the speed is roughly 1/square root of the dielectric constant. For more information on this subject, resources such as books or websites discussing the Telegrapher's equations can be helpful.
americanforest
How is signal transmission speed determined in a transmission line? For example, what determines how long it takes a single pulse to go from one end of a line to the other end. I would assume it depends directly on the conductivity of the material from which the line is made but I'm not sure about that. Can someone refer me to a source which gives me a detailed explanation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
speed u = sqrt(1/LC); L=inductance per unit length, C=capacitance per unit length

The exact relation depends on the transmission line.
However, the speed of propagation is not related conductivity of the metal (the conductivity is only related to the losses in the line) but to the dielectric constant of the dielectric (the insulator); the speed of propagation is roughly [itex]1/\sqrt\epsilon[/itex].
Remember that the wave in a transmission line is not actually traveling in the metal (at high frequencies the skin depth is very small) but in the dielectric.

To tune in with the previous poster: in a 2-conductor transmission line, what determines essentially the propagation speed are two elements:
1) the inductance per unit of length of the conductors
2) the capacitance per unit of length between the conductors.

Can anyone refer me to a book or website with a discussion concerning this subject?

vanesch said:
To tune in with the previous poster: in a 2-conductor transmission line, what determines essentially the propagation speed are two elements:
1) the inductance per unit of length of the conductors
2) the capacitance per unit of length between the conductors.

isn't there also the resistance per unit length and possibly a leakage conductance (between the two conductors) per unit length?

well (looking at the wiki page), maybe you're completely right, but i thought that R and G played a role in determining wave velocity in a lossy transmission line. but, it appears (not solving the diff eq myself) that it's just C and L.

americanforest said:
Can anyone refer me to a book or website with a discussion concerning this subject?

maybe start here with the Telegrapher's_equations. the book or books i have on the topic are soooo old (35 years) that i can't recommend since they must certainly be out of print.

hi,, the transmission speed is propably depends on the line capacitance and line inductance,both components are reciprocal to speed.

There are only really three types of dielectric (insulator) used in coax cable. Air where the inner conductor is supported at regular intervals, PE (Polyethylene) or Teflon (PTFE). PE is by far the most common.

The velocity factor for PE is about 66% of the speed of light. PTFE it is about 70%. Some coax cables use foam or semi-air spaced PE and the velocity factor will be higher.

http://www.nr6ca.org/vf.html

Foam or air are used mainly to allow a larger centre conductor to be used for the same impedance in order to reduce loss. Loss per length increases with frequency due to the skin effect. The current travels in a thin skin near the surface of the conductor and the depth of this skin reduces as you go up in frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two different topics in discussion here.
1. Velocity factor, the speed of electromagnetic radiation through a medium is dependent on the dielectric constant of the medium, as discussed in posts #3, #8.
2. Pulse propagation per the OP is about the movement of charge; that depends on the circuit characteristics distributed over the transmission line, namely inductance and capacitance, as discussed in the rest of the posts.

Thus, if you would like to know how long it takes a pulse entering a transmission line to reach its final peak amplitude at the other end you need only know the distributed L,C of the line.

mheslep said:
There are two different topics in discussion here.
1. Velocity factor, the speed of electromagnetic radiation through a medium is dependent on the dielectric constant of the medium, as discussed in posts #3, #8.
2. Pulse propagation per the OP is about the movement of charge; that depends on the circuit characteristics distributed over the transmission line, namely inductance and capacitance, as discussed in the rest of the posts.

Thus, if you would like to know how long it takes a pulse entering a transmission line to reach its final peak amplitude at the other end you need only know the distributed L,C of the line.

Thanks for clarifying this, it was very confusing

Related to Determining Signal Transmission Speed in a Transmission Line

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized cable or wire used to transfer electrical energy from one point to another. It is typically used to connect power sources, such as generators, to loads, such as motors or appliances.

2. How does a transmission line work?

A transmission line works by creating a path for electromagnetic waves to travel through. These waves carry the electrical energy from the source to the load. The transmission line is designed to minimize losses and maintain the quality of the transmitted energy.

3. What are the different types of transmission lines?

There are several types of transmission lines, including overhead lines, underground lines, and submarine lines. Overhead lines are typically used for long-distance transmission, while underground and submarine lines are used for shorter distances or in areas where overhead lines are not feasible.

4. What factors affect the performance of a transmission line?

The performance of a transmission line can be affected by various factors, such as the length of the line, the type of conductor used, the frequency of the transmitted energy, and the surrounding environment. Other factors, such as temperature, weather conditions, and electrical interference, can also impact the performance of a transmission line.

5. What are some common problems with transmission lines?

Some common problems with transmission lines include power losses, voltage drops, and electrical faults. These issues can be caused by factors such as line impedance, improper installation, aging or damaged components, and external factors like lightning strikes or animal interference. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help prevent and address these problems.