Determining Shear Stress on Bolts

In summary, the problem at hand involves determining the minimum diameter required for two bolts to hold three plates together under the given forces and maximum allowed shear stress. The forces are assumed to be evenly distributed between the two bolts. To solve this problem, you need to use the equation t = V/A, where t is the average shear stress, V is the total load, and A is the cross section area where the force acts. In this case, each bolt will be in a double shear state with two planes of shears, making the shear force equal to half of the total load transmitted per bolt. By plugging in the known values, the diameter of the bolts can be solved for. It is also important to remember to account for the
stinlin
So as you can see, the drawing I've attached shows two bolts through those 3 plates. There are the shown forces acting on the plates, and the maximum allowed shear stress is given to be 110 MPa. You're supposed to determine the minimum diameter required for the bolts. Also, the forces are assumed to be evenly distributed amongst the two bolts.

So I can ask my TA how to solve this problem, so I'm not entirely asking for a solution...What I want to know is really the theory of this. If I'm looking at the bolt alone, there are 3 forces acting on it, no? If that's the case, then how do I go about applying t = V/A?

Can I get an explanation of how to look at the bolt and determine the shear force? Thanks!

Attachments

• stress.GIF
    stress.GIF
    8.8 KB · Views: 613
Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you know about planes of shears?

In your example each bolt will have 2 planes of shears, making the bolt in a double shear state. Which means each of the shear forces will be equal to the half of the total load transmitted per bolt.

With this in mind you know the total load is simply 80 Newtons, and for a bolt the average shear stress will be equal to the shear force divided by the cross section of the area where it acts. You have the total load, you have the allowed shear stress, and the only unknown is the diameter, so simply by using the equation you have stated, you can solve for the diameter of the bolts.

Remember: you have 2 cross section areas, because you have two bolts (which should be accounted in A).

Last edited:

Sure, I'd be happy to provide some clarification on how to determine shear stress on bolts in this scenario.

First, let's start with the basics. Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act in opposite directions, parallel to each other, on an object. In this case, the two bolts are being subjected to shear stress due to the forces acting on the plates.

To determine the minimum diameter required for the bolts, we need to first calculate the shear force acting on each bolt. This can be done by summing up the forces acting on each bolt in the given scenario. Since the forces are assumed to be evenly distributed amongst the two bolts, we can divide the total force by 2 to get the shear force acting on each bolt.

Once we have the shear force, we can use the formula t = V/A to calculate the shear stress on the bolts. In this formula, t represents shear stress, V represents shear force, and A represents the cross-sectional area of the bolt. The maximum allowed shear stress given in this scenario is 110 MPa, so we can set t = 110 MPa and solve for A to determine the minimum required diameter for the bolts.

In terms of the theory behind this, it's important to understand that bolts are designed to resist shear forces. The diameter of the bolt is a key factor in determining its strength and ability to resist shear stress. A larger diameter bolt will have a larger cross-sectional area, allowing it to withstand higher shear forces without exceeding the maximum allowed shear stress.

Overall, the key steps in determining the minimum bolt diameter in this scenario are to calculate the shear force acting on each bolt, use the t = V/A formula to calculate the shear stress, and then solve for the minimum required diameter using the maximum allowed shear stress. I hope this explanation helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to Determining Shear Stress on Bolts

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces are applied in opposite directions parallel to an object's surface. In other words, it is the force that causes one part of an object to slide or slip past another part.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied by the cross-sectional area of the object. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. Why is it important to determine shear stress on bolts?

It is important to determine shear stress on bolts because it helps ensure the structural integrity and safety of a system. If the shear stress on a bolt exceeds its maximum allowable limit, it can lead to failure of the bolt and potentially cause damage or injury.

4. What factors affect shear stress on bolts?

There are several factors that can affect shear stress on bolts, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the size and shape of the bolt, the material properties of the bolt and the materials it is connecting, and the presence of any external loads or vibrations.

5. What are some methods for determining shear stress on bolts?

There are various methods for determining shear stress on bolts, including analytical calculations, experimental testing, and computer simulations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method may depend on the specific application and available resources.