Determining Q for Isobaric Processes: Cp or Cv?

• Thread starter songsteel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isobaric
In summary, for isobaric processes involving an ideal gas, the expressions Q = nCpΔT and Q = nCvΔT + p(Vf - Vi) are both correct and can be used depending on the situation. The first expression applies for finding the heat required to raise the temperature at constant volume, while the second expression applies for finding the heat supplied or the change in volume at constant pressure. It is important to note that these relationships apply to all kinds of processes involving an ideal gas, not just monoatomic gases.
songsteel
Just wanted to ask why is it that for isobaric processes, when we wanted to find Q, sometimes we use Q = nCpΔT and sometimes we use Q = nCvΔT + p(Vf - Vi)?

How do we determine which should be used and when?

Physics news on Phys.org
songsteel said:
Just wanted to ask why is it that for isobaric processes, when we wanted to find Q, sometimes we use Q = nCpΔT and sometimes we use Q = nCvΔT + p(Vf - Vi)?

How do we determine which should be used and when?

They are not different things .Both of the above expressions are correct and can be used simultaneously , or separately depending on the situation.

For an isobaric process ΔQ = nCPΔT.

From First law of Thermodynamics ΔQ = ΔU+ΔW .

Now ΔU=nCVΔT applies to all kinds of processes involving an ideal gas.

So ,putting values of ΔQ and ΔU ,we have nCPΔT = nCVΔT + pΔVTo elaborate it further-

Case 1) What is the heat required to raise the temperature of 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas by 'ΔT' .

You can simply use Q = nCPΔT

Case 2) How much heat is supplied to 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas in a chamber fitted with a light piston , when the temperature changes by 'ΔT' and volume changes by ΔV ? Consider the process to be isobaric

Here ,use ΔQ = nCVΔT + pΔV

Case 3) What is the change in the volume of 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas in a chamber fitted with a light piston , when the temperature changes by 'ΔT' ? Consider the process to be isobaric .

Now use nCPΔT = nCVΔT + pΔV

Edit:Removed the word - "insulated" and removed a typo

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
They are not different things .Both of the above expressions are correct and can be used simultaneously , or separately depending on the situation.

For an isobaric process ΔQ = nCPΔT.

From First law of Thermodynamics ΔQ = ΔU+ΔW .

Now ΔU=nCVΔT applies to all kinds of processes involving an ideal gas.

So ,putting values of ΔQ and ΔU ,we have nCPΔT = nCVΔT + pΔV

To elaborate it further-

Case 1) What is the heat required to raise the temperature of 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas by 'ΔT' .

You can simply use Q = nCPΔT

Case 2) How much heat is supplied to 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas in an insulated chamber fitted with a light piston , when the temperature changes by 'ΔT' and volume changes by ΔU ? Consider the process to be isobaric

Here ,use ΔQ = nCVΔT + pΔV

Case 3) What is the change in the volume of 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas in an insulated chamber fitted with a light piston , when the temperature changes by 'ΔT' ? Consider the process to be isobaric .

Now use nCPΔT = nCVΔT + pΔV
Hi Tanya. You need to "lose" the word insulated from cases 2 and 3. If Q is not equal to zero, the chamber is not insulated. In all three cases, you need to lose the word monoatomic, and in case 1 you need to add the words at "at constant volume". Also, in item 2 there is a typo: replace ΔU with ΔV.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Hi Chet...

Chestermiller said:
Hi Tanya. You need to "lose" the word insulated from cases 2 and 3. If Q is not equal to zero, the chamber is not insulated.

Yes you are right :redface: .I have edited my post.

Chestermiller said:
In all three cases, you need to lose the word monoatomic,

Why? These are just examples i have taken using monoatomic ideal gas.

Chestermiller said:
and in case 1 you need to add the words at "at constant volume".

Why ? The heat supplied at constant pressure is nCPΔT

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Chet...

Why? These are just examples i have taken using monoatomic ideal gas.
It might give the impression that the relationship applies only to a monoatomic ideal gas.

Why ? The heat supplied at constant pressure is nCPΔT
Oh, sorry. I misread the Cp as Cv. I think it would be worthwhile adding the words "at constant pressure" to Case 1.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It might give the impression that the relationship applies only to a monoatomic ideal gas.

Well..these are just random questions/cases I formed .But...you may be correct.

Chestermiller said:
Oh, sorry. I misread the Cp as Cv. I think it would be worthwhile adding the words "at constant pressure" to Case 1.

Chet

Right.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions :smile: .I very much like reading your posts .They are full of insight.

Last edited:

Related to Determining Q for Isobaric Processes: Cp or Cv?

1. What is an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is a thermodynamic process in which the pressure of the system remains constant while other properties, such as temperature and volume, may change.

2. How can you represent an isobaric process on a graph?

An isobaric process is represented as a horizontal line on a pressure-volume graph, as the pressure remains constant throughout the process.

3. What is the equation for calculating work in an isobaric process?

The equation for work in an isobaric process is W = PΔV, where W represents work, P is the constant pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

4. How does an isobaric process differ from an isothermal process?

An isobaric process differs from an isothermal process in that the temperature remains constant in an isothermal process, while it may change in an isobaric process.

5. What is an example of an isobaric process?

An example of an isobaric process is the expansion of a gas in a piston-cylinder system at constant pressure, such as in a car engine.