Determining PSD of 1uaternary (4-ary) line code

In summary, the text explains how to calculate the probability of a given value for a quaternary baseband signaling. The table shows that the value 1 is equally likely to appear twice as much as it is to appear four times, so its probability is ##\frac{2}{16}=\frac{1}{8}##. However, the value 3 appears four times in the table, so its probability is ##\frac{4}{16}=\frac{1}{4}##.
Evo8

Homework Statement

Ok So this is an example from my text. I am having trouble following a portion of it and was curious if anyone could shed some light on it. I've typed most of it and posted a screen shot of the second portion since there is a table involved.

Determine the PSD of the quaternary (4-ary) baseband signaling. The 4-ary line code has four distinct symbols corresponding to the four different combinations of two message bits. One such mapping is:

$$a_k= \begin{cases}-3 \ \ message \ bits \ 00\\
-1 \ \ message \ bits \ 01\\
+1 \ \ message \ bits \ 10\\
+3 \ \ message \ bits \ 11 \end{cases}$$

Therefore, all four values of ##a_k## are equally likely, each with a chance of 1 in 4. Recall that
$$R_0=lim_{n→∞} \frac{1}{N} \sum_{k} a_k^2$$

Within the summation, 1/4 of the ##a_k \ will \ be \ ±1, \ and \ ±3## thus,

$$R_0=lim_{N→∞} \frac{1}{N} [\frac{N}{4}(-3)^2+\frac{N}{4}(-1)^2++\frac{N}{4}(1)^2++\frac{N}{4}(3)^2]=5$$

Up to this poing I understand.

Here is the second portion:
attachment.php?attachmentid=57738&stc=1&d=1365639954.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to calculate ##R_0## from this example. I get lost when the text calculated R_n. I see how they created the table of all possible values for ##a_k*a_k+n## but when the ##R_n## equation is put together i get confused.

In the paragraph below it they attempt to explain. Why are ±1 and ±9 equally likely (1 in 8) and ±1 are equally likely (1 in 4). I would have expected them to be the other way around.

Can anyone shed some light or offer a better explanation?

It would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• example 7.4.jpg
    example 7.4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
The table contains 16 entries. Each is equally likely.
The value 1 appears twice in the table, so the corresponding probability is ##\frac{2}{16}=\frac{1}{8}##.
However, the value 3 appears four times in the table, so its probability is ##\frac{4}{16}=\frac{1}{4}##.

Simple! Man I really should have seen that.

Anyway thanks again for your help ILS!

Related to Determining PSD of 1uaternary (4-ary) line code

1. What is a quaternary (4-ary) line code?

A quaternary line code is a type of digital signal that uses four different voltage levels to represent data. This is in contrast to a binary line code, which uses only two voltage levels. Quaternary line codes are commonly used in telecommunications and computer networking.

2. How is the PSD (Power Spectral Density) of a quaternary line code determined?

The PSD of a quaternary line code is determined by analyzing the frequency components of the signal. This is done by taking the Fourier transform of the signal and then calculating the power for each frequency component. The resulting spectrum represents the PSD of the signal.

3. Why is it important to determine the PSD of a quaternary line code?

The PSD of a quaternary line code is important because it helps to understand the frequency characteristics of the signal. This information is used in the design and analysis of communication systems to ensure efficient transmission and reception of data.

4. What factors can affect the PSD of a quaternary line code?

The PSD of a quaternary line code can be affected by factors such as the modulation scheme used, the signal-to-noise ratio, and the bandwidth of the transmission channel. Interference and other noise sources can also impact the PSD of the signal.

5. How is the PSD of a quaternary line code used in practical applications?

The PSD of a quaternary line code is used in practical applications to determine the bandwidth and power requirements for a communication system. It also helps to optimize the design of communication systems to achieve the desired data transfer rate and minimize errors.