Determining Positive Correlation from Table

In summary, a positive correlation is a statistical relationship between two variables where an increase in one variable is associated with an increase in the other variable. To determine if there is a positive correlation from a table, you can visually examine the data points or calculate the correlation coefficient. The range of values for a correlation coefficient is between -1 and 1, with 0 indicating no correlation, 1 indicating a perfect positive correlation, and -1 indicating a perfect negative correlation. A positive correlation cannot turn into a negative correlation, but the strength of the correlation can change. Factors such as sample size, range of values, and outliers can influence the strength of a positive correlation, and a correlation does not necessarily imply a causal relationship.
annie122
i was given a table for calculating joint and marginal distribution. then i was asked if the variables are positively correlated or not.

i know what positive correlation is, but how do i determine that from a table?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Determining Positive Correlation from Table

What is a positive correlation?

A positive correlation is a statistical relationship between two variables in which an increase in one variable is associated with an increase in the other variable. This means that when one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase.

How can I determine if there is a positive correlation from a table?

To determine if there is a positive correlation from a table, you can visually examine the data points and see if they form a generally upward trend. You can also calculate the correlation coefficient, which is a numerical measure of the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. A positive correlation coefficient indicates a positive correlation.

What is the range of values for a positive correlation coefficient?

The range of values for a correlation coefficient is between -1 and 1. A correlation coefficient of 0 indicates no correlation, a correlation coefficient of 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation, and a correlation coefficient of -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation.

Can a positive correlation turn into a negative correlation?

No, a positive correlation cannot turn into a negative correlation. The direction of a correlation remains the same, but the strength of the correlation can change. For example, a strong positive correlation may become a weaker positive correlation, but it will still be a positive correlation.

What are some factors that can influence the strength of a positive correlation?

The strength of a positive correlation can be influenced by several factors, such as the sample size, the range of values for the variables, and the presence of outliers. Additionally, the strength of a correlation does not necessarily indicate a causal relationship between the variables.