Determining point where net electric field is zero

In summary, the net electric field will be zero at a point 0.539 m away from the -2.00 mC charge and 0.661 m away from the -3.00 mC charge. This can be found by setting the equations for electric field equal to each other and solving for the distance between the two charges.
Fresh Coffee
Hello comrades,

Question
A negative charge of 3.00 mC is 1.20m to the right of another negative charge of 2.00 mC. Calculate the point along the same line between the two charges where the net electric field will be zero.

Formulas
E=kq/r2

Attempt at Solving
Well, I get as far as setting E1=kq/r2 equal to E2=kq/r2 but am at lost as to what to do next. I tried bringing the equations all to one side and setting them equal to zero but can't seem to isolate for r. I also tried cross multiplying and dividing but didn't get the answer from that either. I know the answer (0.661m left of the -3.00 charge) but am unable to find out how to get the answer. If someone could provide a detailed, comprehensive explanation as to how to figure this question out it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
As stated in the problem, the distance between two charges is 1.2 m, and you know that there is a point somewhere in between these two where electric field is zero. Imagine that point is p, as is (x) m away from -2 mC charge and (1.2 - x) m away from -3 mC charge.
it would look like sth like this: -2mC ----- P ----------- -3mc

Konoha said:
As stated in the problem, the distance between two charges is 1.2 m, and you know that there is a point somewhere in between these two where electric field is zero. Imagine that point is p, as is (x) m away from -2 mC charge and (1.2 - x) m away from -3 mC charge.
it would look like sth like this: -2mC ----- P ----------- -3mc

Like This?
b3e2ee34-335f-4b03-8320-9dadb32441a8_zps6ddb878c.jpg

Fresh Coffee said:
Like This? If so how do I isolate for r?
b3e2ee34-335f-4b03-8320-9dadb32441a8_zps6ddb878c.jpg

yes! exactly. just notice that the r we find is the distance from -2 mC charge! (because that's how we defined it, you can just subtract it from 1.2 to find the distance from -3 mC if you want)

the K in both sides cancel out each other, you can bring r's to one side of the equation r^2 / (1.2 -r)^2 and 2/3 to the other. from there on it's just some algebra. (it's best to take the square root of both sides to get ride of r's power of 2)

Ok great!...however I am having trouble isolating for r...On one side I have r/(1.20-r) and on the other side I have square root of 2.00/3.00 (due to squaring both sides to get rid of the power of 2. How do I isolate for this r?

Square root of 2/3 is roughly, 0.816. substitute this. now you have r/(1.2-r) = 0.816 You should have studied solving of these equation in algebra. anyway, you can multiply both side by (1.2-r) which results in r = 0.816(1.2-r). Multiply the right side: r = 0.979 - 0.816 r
from here it's really easy.

Related to Determining point where net electric field is zero

1. What is the concept of determining the point where the net electric field is zero?

The concept of determining the point where the net electric field is zero is based on the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of individual electric fields produced by each charge. In other words, at the point where the net electric field is zero, the individual electric fields from all charges cancel each other out.

2. How do you calculate the net electric field at a point?

To calculate the net electric field at a point, you need to know the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field produced by each charge. You can then use vector addition to find the total electric field at the point. The magnitude of the net electric field is equal to the vector sum of the individual electric fields, and the direction is determined by the direction of the resultant vector.

3. What factors affect the point where the net electric field is zero?

The point where the net electric field is zero is affected by the distance between charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the direction of the electric fields. The closer the charges are, the stronger the electric field, and the more likely it is that the net electric field will not be zero. Additionally, if the charges have the same sign, the electric fields will add and the net electric field will not be zero. If the charges have opposite signs, the electric fields will subtract and the net electric field may be zero.

4. Can the point where the net electric field is zero change?

Yes, the point where the net electric field is zero can change depending on the location and configuration of charges. If the position or magnitude of charges changes, the net electric field may no longer be zero. Additionally, if more charges are added, the net electric field may also change.

5. Why is it important to determine the point where the net electric field is zero?

Determining the point where the net electric field is zero is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with charges. It can also help in visualizing the direction and strength of electric fields, which is crucial in many applications such as designing electronic circuits and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.