Determining phase shift of two frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for two frequencies, 4,000 Hz and 5,000 Hz, to become completely out of phase. The solution involves writing each wave as ## E(t)=A \, cos(2 \pi f t) ## where ## f ## is the frequency, and setting the phase of the waves equal to π. The resulting equation can be solved for the shortest time t.
teetar

Homework Statement

I'm given two frequencies: 4,000 Hz, and 5,000 Hz.
They are completely in-shift at time ##t=0##.
I am to find the time it takes them to get completely out of phase.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've not gotten waves very well thus far in physics. My teacher said being completely out of phase occurs at a phase shift of one half wavelength, or, at π rads. Where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write each wave as ## E(t)=A \, cos(2 \pi f t) ## where ## f ## is the frequency, because ## f=1/T ## where ## T ## is the period (time of one cycle). The number * inside the cos(*) will define the phase of the wave at time t. I've probably already given you more information than we are supposed to, but hopefully you can work it from here.

Likes teetar
Charles Link said:
You need to write each wave as ## E(t)=A \, cos(2 \pi f t) ## where ## f ## is the frequency, because ## f=1/T ## where ## T ## is the period (time of one cycle). The number * inside the cos(*) will define the phase of the wave at time t. I've probably already given you more information than we are supposed to, but hopefully you can work it from here.
So, is it as simple as saying that the waves are completely out of shift when 10,000πt - 8,000πt = π, meaning that t = 1/2,000? I must be oversimplifying this without fully understanding the fundamental ideas behind it. Am I evaluating the change in the cosine equal to π rads (cos(10,000πt) - cos(8,000πt) = π)? Or am I still missing the obvious answer?

teetar said:
So, is it as simple as saying that the waves are completely out of shift when 10,000πt - 8,000πt = π, meaning that t = 1/2,000? I must be oversimplifying this without fully understanding the fundamental ideas behind it. Am I evaluating the change in the cosine equal to π rads (cos(10,000πt) - cos(8,000πt) = π)? Or am I still missing the obvious answer?
You did it correctly and the answer is in seconds (t=.0005 seconds).

Likes teetar
Charles Link said:
You did it correctly and the answer is in seconds (t=.0005 seconds).
Thanks for the help! I definitely need to spend more time studying waves.

If anyone passes by this thread and knows of any good resources, could you reply to me with them, or PM me them? I looked all over Google trying to answer this question and didn't find many relevant sources.

Phase is the total argument of sin or cos which evolves over time.
So if you have x1 = sin(2πf1t) and x2 = sin(2πf2t) then the phases are 2πf1t and 2πf2t and the equation to solve is 2πf1t = 2πf2t + π with f1 > f2.
There are an infinite number of answers but you want to find the shortest time t satisfying the equation.

Related to Determining phase shift of two frequencies

1. What is the purpose of determining the phase shift of two frequencies?

The purpose of determining the phase shift of two frequencies is to understand the relationship between two waves with different frequencies. This can help in analyzing signals, creating accurate measurements, and predicting the behavior of systems.

2. How do you calculate the phase shift between two frequencies?

The phase shift between two frequencies can be calculated by finding the time difference between two corresponding points on the waveforms. This time difference can then be converted into an angle measurement in degrees or radians.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the phase shift of two frequencies?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the phase shift include noise in the signals, harmonics or interference from other frequencies, and variations in the amplitude or frequency of the waves.

4. What techniques can be used to determine the phase shift of two frequencies?

There are several techniques that can be used to determine the phase shift of two frequencies, including the method of comparing waveforms, using a phase-locked loop, and using a phase meter or oscilloscope.

5. How can determining the phase shift of two frequencies be applied in real-life situations?

Determining the phase shift of two frequencies has many practical applications, such as in telecommunications, audio and music production, and medical imaging. It can also be used in fields like astronomy and seismology to analyze and interpret signals from different sources.