Determining Path Length in a Double Slit Experiment

In summary, when the distance between the screen and the slits is not small, the path length of the rays is determined by dropping a perpendicular and calculating the excess path. This includes a term for the distance between the slits, the angle to the screen from the top slit, and the distance to the point on the screen from the slits. Additional approximations may also need to be considered in the calculation.
CINA
In a double slit, when the distance between the screen is NOT small (i.e. the rays r1 and r2 are not parallel) how is path length determined?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So the distance from the slits to the screen is not small? That is the usual case in books, and in that case r1 and r2 are parallel! So you'd drop a perpendicular, and calculate the excess path that one of the rays takes.

If the screen is not infinite away from the slits but still far away, and assuming that the point on the screen that you want to calculate the intensity is above the top slit, then you'd still drop a perpendicular and calculate the excess path which would be d*sin(theta), but also in addition there'll be a term [d*cos(theta)]^2/(2r1), for a total difference in length of path:

[tex]dsin(\theta)+\frac{(dcos(\theta))^2}{2r_1} [/tex]

where d is the distance between slits, theta is the angle to the screen from the top slit, and r_1 is the distance to the point on the screen from the slits.

At least I think this is right. My geometry is not so good, as are my skills at keeping track what order approximations I'm using (I also have trouble with significant figures).

Related to Determining Path Length in a Double Slit Experiment

1. How do you determine the path length in a double slit experiment?

The path length in a double slit experiment is determined by measuring the distance between the two slits, known as the slit separation, and the distance between the slits and the screen where the interference pattern is observed, known as the slit-to-screen distance. These two distances are used to calculate the path length difference between the two waves passing through the slits.

2. What is the purpose of determining path length in a double slit experiment?

Determining the path length in a double slit experiment is important because it allows us to understand and predict the interference pattern that will be observed on the screen. The path length difference affects the phase difference between the two waves, which in turn affects the intensity of the interference pattern.

3. How does the path length difference affect the interference pattern in a double slit experiment?

The path length difference between the two waves passing through the slits determines the phase difference between them. This phase difference affects the intensity of the interference pattern observed on the screen. If the path length difference is an integer multiple of the wavelength, constructive interference occurs and bright fringes are observed. If the path length difference is a half-integer multiple of the wavelength, destructive interference occurs and dark fringes are observed.

4. Can the path length in a double slit experiment be changed?

Yes, the path length in a double slit experiment can be changed by adjusting the distances between the slits and the screen or by changing the wavelength of the light source. This can result in a different interference pattern being observed on the screen.

5. How does the path length in a double slit experiment relate to the wavelength of the light source?

The path length in a double slit experiment is directly proportional to the wavelength of the light source. This means that as the wavelength increases, the path length difference between the two waves also increases, resulting in a larger phase difference and a different interference pattern being observed on the screen.