Determining new diameter of shaft after deformation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the new diameter of an aluminum alloy specimen after an applied load of 10 kip, using the formula δL = PL/AE. However, it is mentioned that this may not be the correct approach and Poisson's ratio may need to be taken into account.
Rickk Gomez
Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my approach to this problem. I'm stuck after I get the deformation... :

1. The proportional portion of the tension-strain diagram for an aluminum alloy is shown in the figure (attached). The specimen used for the test gauge length of 2in and a diameter of 0.5in. If the applied load is 10 kip, determine the new diameter of the specimen. The shear modulus is G = 38 x 10 ^3 ksi.
2. L = PL / AE3. (10)(2)/(1)(0.00614) = 3.2573 x 10^3

Attachments

• Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Rickk Gomez said:
Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my approach to this problem. I'm stuck after I get the deformation... :

1. The proportional portion of the tension-strain diagram for an aluminum alloy is shown in the figure (attached). The specimen used for the test gauge length of 2in and a diameter of 0.5in. If the applied load is 10 kip, determine the new diameter of the specimen. The shear modulus is G = 38 x 10 ^3 ksi.
2. L = PL / AE3. (10)(2)/(1)(0.00614) = 3.2573 x 10^3

It's not clear from your calculation if you have determined either A or E for this specimen. Regardless, calculating δL = PL/AE is not really what the problem is looking for, which is to calculate δD for the bar when an axial load of 10 kip is applied.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear from your calculation if you have determined either A or E for this specimen. Regardless, calculating δL = PL/AE is not really what the problem is looking for, which is to calculate δD for the bar when an axial load of 10 kip is applied.
Is the formula the same for finding the δD?

No. Hint: look up Poisson's ratio.

4. The new diameter can be determined using the formula for strain:

ε = (ΔL/L) = (d-d0)/d0

Where:

ε = strain
ΔL = change in length
L = original length
d = new diameter
d0 = original diameter5. Rearranging the formula, we get:

d = d0 / (1-ε)

6. Substituting the values, we get:

d = 0.5 / (1-3.2573 x 10^3)

7. Solving for d, we get the new diameter of the specimen to be approximately 0.4999 inches.

8. It is important to note that this calculation assumes the material is behaving in a linear elastic manner. If the deformation is large enough to cause plastic deformation, the material may not return to its original shape and the calculations may not be accurate. It is also important to consider any potential safety factors and to consult with a professional engineer for accurate and safe design calculations.

Related to Determining new diameter of shaft after deformation

1. How do you determine the new diameter of a shaft after deformation?

The new diameter of a shaft after deformation can be determined by using the formula: D' = D x (L/L'), where D' is the new diameter, D is the original diameter, L is the original length, and L' is the deformed length. This formula assumes that the deformation is uniform along the length of the shaft.

2. What factors can cause deformation in a shaft?

Deformation in a shaft can be caused by various factors such as excessive load, temperature changes, and material defects. It can also be caused by external forces such as impacts or bending moments.

3. How accurate is the calculation of the new diameter of a shaft after deformation?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken for the original diameter and length, as well as the assumptions made about the deformation. In real-world scenarios, there may be variations and uncertainties that can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. Can the new diameter of a shaft be determined without knowing the original diameter and length?

No, the original diameter and length are essential parameters in determining the new diameter of a shaft after deformation. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the new diameter.

5. Is it necessary to determine the new diameter of a shaft after deformation?

In some cases, it may be necessary to determine the new diameter of a shaft after deformation, especially if it is critical to the function or safety of the shaft. However, in other cases, such as minor deformations or non-critical applications, it may not be necessary to determine the new diameter.