Determining N(i) of a Hydrogen Electron Transition

In summary, the conversation discusses an electron in the hydrogen atom transitioning from an energy state with a principle quantum number of N(i) to the N=2 state. The wavelength of the emitted photon is given as 434 nm and the conversation discusses using the relation E = \frac{hc}{\lambda} to determine the photon energy and then finding the corresponding energy transition down to N = 2 in the Balmer Series.
DennisG
An electron in the hydrogen atom makes a transition from an energy state of principle quantum number N(i) to the N=2 state. If the photon emitted has a wavelength of 434 nm, what is the value of N(i)?

...no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
DennisG said:
An electron in the hydrogen atom makes a transition from an energy state of principle quantum number N(i) to the N=2 state. If the photon emitted has a wavelength of 434 nm, what is the value of N(i)?

...no idea

Hmm...my guess is that you determine the photon energy using the relation

[tex] E = \frac{hc}{\lambda} [/tex]

Then you look up how large an energy transition (in "steps" of N) down to N = 2 is required for a photon of that energy to be emitted.

If I've made a mistake, someone please tell me.

DennisG said:

...no idea

Does the term "Balmer Series" ring a bell?

Related to Determining N(i) of a Hydrogen Electron Transition

What is N(i)?

N(i) refers to the initial energy level of an electron in a hydrogen atom before it transitions to a lower energy level. It is represented by the principal quantum number, n.

How is N(i) determined?

N(i) can be determined by analyzing the spectral lines produced when an electron transitions from a higher energy level to a lower one. The energy of each line is directly related to the initial energy level of the electron.

Why is determining N(i) important?

Determining N(i) allows us to understand the energy levels of electrons in a hydrogen atom and how they transition between levels. This information is crucial in many fields, including atomic and molecular physics, spectroscopy, and quantum mechanics.

Can N(i) be calculated mathematically?

Yes, N(i) can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which relates the energy levels of the electron to the spectral lines produced. This allows us to determine the principal quantum number, n, and therefore the initial energy level of the electron.

How does N(i) relate to the Bohr model of the atom?

In the Bohr model of the atom, N(i) is represented by the principal quantum number, n, which determines the size and energy of the electron's orbit. Higher values of n correspond to higher energy levels, and as the electron transitions to lower levels, n decreases, and the energy decreases.