Determining Minimum Bolt Size for Display Mounting

• Thread starter sekedarimaji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screw
In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for creating a mounting for a 6 Kg display, which will be supported by hollow square pieces and bolted with socket screws. The question is what size screw should be used, and the solution involves calculating the weight force of the display, determining the material and max shear stress for the bolts, and solving for the appropriate diameter.
sekedarimaji

Homework Statement

Hello guys, I want to make a mounting for a display which 6 Kg weight. The display will be supported by two hollow square 30x30 with 2 mm thickness and bolted by 2 socket screw in each hollow. Base of the display are made from aluminium sheet 1 mm thick.

Homework Equations

What is the minimum screw size should use?

The Attempt at a Solution

the closest way is get the section area of the screw from a stress formula, but I'm not sure which stress formula

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you do a drawing? It's not clear if the screws are in tension, compression or shear.

Is there any way to edit my previous post? I've tried to find edit button but i couldn't find it.

CWatters said:
Can you do a drawing? It's not clear if the screws are in tension, compression or shear.

Display.jpg

Bolt.jpg

The bolts in your diagram would experience shear stress. First you could calculate the weight force of the display by using mass x gravity. Then since you have 4 bolts divide your weight force by 4 to get the force per bolt.

Once you have that you need to pick the material of your bolts and look up the max shear stress allowed for that material. Once that is known you can use the equation stress = force / area. Use max shear stress in place of stress and force per bolt in place of force and write area as PI*D^2/4Then you can solve for D. It will most likely not be a standard bolt diameter, just pick the next largest size.

Last edited:
Likes sekedarimaji

Related to Determining Minimum Bolt Size for Display Mounting

1. What is the purpose of determining screw size?

Determining screw size is important because it ensures that the correct size and type of screw is used for a specific application. Using the wrong size screw can lead to structural instability or damage to materials.

2. How do I measure the size of a screw?

The size of a screw is typically determined by its diameter, length, and thread pitch. You can use a ruler or calipers to measure the diameter and length, and a thread gauge to determine the thread pitch.

3. What is the difference between metric and imperial screw sizes?

Metric screw sizes are measured in millimeters, while imperial screw sizes are measured in inches. The two systems are not interchangeable, so it is important to determine which system your screws are measured in when determining their size.

4. How do I choose the right screw size for my project?

The right screw size will depend on the material you are working with, the weight or load the screw will need to support, and the type of screw needed for the specific application. It is best to consult a screw size chart or consult with a hardware expert to determine the appropriate size for your project.

5. Can I use a larger or smaller screw than the recommended size?

It is not recommended to use a screw that is significantly larger or smaller than the recommended size. This can lead to structural issues or damage to materials. However, if a screw of the exact size is not available, it is generally safe to use a slightly larger screw as long as it is not too large for the intended application.