Determining Mass & Info of Merging Neutron Stars from LIGO Signal

In summary,The masses, orbital period, and separation of two merging neutron stars are determined using the chirp mass, Kepler's law, and the orbital period frequency. The distance to the galaxy that housed the merger is calculated using the luminosity distance and the Hubble relation. The speed of recession of the galaxy is estimated using the redshift of the gamma ray burst and the luminosity distance.
jordankonisky
How does one determine/calculate the masses, orbital period, and separation of two merging neutron stars from the characteristics of its gravity wave LIGO signal? And how does this information allow one to calculate the distance to the galaxy that housed the merger? And how can one calculate the speed of recession of that galaxy from the characteristics of the accompanying gamma ray burst?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest looking at the first LIGO paper, https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102.

What's measured is the frequency of the GW as a function of time. This signal is referred to as a "chirp", because it starts out with a low frequency and the frequency increases as the masses spiral together, getting closer and the orbital period reducing. There is a formula which gives a measure of the combined mass of the system , called the "chirp mass" in the paper, given the frequency and it's time derivative. They have references in the paper that talk about where the concept was derived, but I didn't dig into it that deeply.

As far as separation goes, they talk about "Keplerian effective black hole separation". I'm not sure if they give the details in the paper, but I assume they use keplers law (so it's an approximate concept, not something you'd measure with a ruler or via the SI defintion of separation), the chirp mass (to estimate the total mass / reduced mass used in Kepler's law), and the orbital period /frequency. As the paper mentions, this is half the gravitatioanl wave frquency (which would be twice the period).

I'm a bit unclear on how they estimated the distance (specifically, the luminosity distance, which is the sort of distance they report). Sorry, at one time I thought I knew the anser to that, but it's escaping me.

pervect said:
I'm a bit unclear on how they estimated the distance (specifically, the luminosity distance, which is the sort of distance they report).

The basic idea is that if you know the intrinsic luminosity of a source (i.e., how much energy it emits), then you can use the observed luminosity plus the inverse square law to come up with a distance to the source. The caveat here is that in an expanding universe, i.e., a curved spacetime, the luminosity "distance" doesn't mean quite what you might think it means--it doesn't have a simple interpretation in terms of "how far away" the object is (as it would in a static, flat spacetime). But it's still a common "distance" measure because it's easy to calculate (at least for a source with known intrinsict luminosity--for black hole mergers that is obtained from numerical simulations, which as I understand it relate the chirp mass, and possibly other characteristics of the signal, to intrinsic luminosity, somewhat similar to the way supernova light curves are used to calculate intrinsic luminosity).

jordankonisky said:
how can one calculate the speed of recession of that galaxy from the characteristics of the accompanying gamma ray burst?

As I understand it, that's just the redshift of the gamma rays combined with the luminosity distance and the Hubble relation from our current best-fit model of the expansion history of the universe.

pervect said:
I'm a bit unclear on how they estimated the distance (specifically, the luminosity distance, which is the sort of distance they report). Sorry, at one time I thought I knew the anser to that, but it's escaping me.
Doesn't the mass and period give you a power emission? The power received plus information about the "antenna" design and the inverse square law ought to do the rest. Or is that hopelessly naive?

Edit: never mind - Peter answered while I was typing.

PeterDonis said:
As I understand it, that's just the redshift of the gamma rays combined with the luminosity distance and the Hubble relation from our current best-fit model of the expansion history of the universe.

I don't think one can get an accurate measure of the redshift from the gamma ray signal. There are no spectral lines to base a redshift on, and the emitted radiation energy distribution is broad. If you read this paper, they got the redshift from optical measurements of NGC4993 once it was established that this was where the event occurred.

Likes PeterDonis
phyzguy said:
I don't think one can get an accurate measure of the redshift from the gamma ray signal. There are no spectral lines to base a redshift on, and the emitted radiation energy distribution is broad.

Ah, good point.

An early undergrad-level overview of the analysis is given in the Physics Teacher article

https://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04666

It includes luminosity distance in "v) Distance to the source".

George Jones said:
An early undergrad-level overview of the analysis is given in the Physics Teacher article

https://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04666

It includes luminosity distance in "v) Distance to the source".
I want to thank everyone for your helpful reply to my questions. George, I especially appreciate your bringing the Physics Teacher article to my attention.

Related to Determining Mass & Info of Merging Neutron Stars from LIGO Signal

1. How does LIGO detect merging neutron stars?

LIGO, or the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, uses a system of two detectors that work together to measure the incredibly small ripples in space-time caused by merging neutron stars. These ripples, known as gravitational waves, are detected by measuring the changes in the distance between two points as the waves pass through the Earth.

2. What information can be determined from the LIGO signal?

The LIGO signal provides information about the masses and spins of the merging neutron stars, as well as the location and distance of the event. It can also give insight into the properties of neutron stars and the nature of gravity.

3. How accurate is the measurement of mass and information from LIGO?

The measurements from LIGO are incredibly accurate, with a margin of error of only a few percent. This is due to the advanced technology and precise calibration of the detectors.

4. How does determining the mass and information of merging neutron stars from LIGO signal contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying the mass and information of merging neutron stars allows us to better understand the processes that occur during these events, as well as the properties of neutron stars themselves. This information can also help us refine our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

5. What are the potential implications of the LIGO measurements for future research?

The precise measurements from LIGO have the potential to open up new areas of research in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. They can help us understand the origin and evolution of the universe, as well as provide insights into the behavior of matter in extreme conditions. The data from LIGO can also be used to test and refine theories in physics and astronomy.