Determining Ksp for Silver Sulfate

• Thread starter jeahomgrajan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ksp Silver
In summary: What is the limitation of IEE?The limitation of IEE is that the electrode has to be able to measure the metal ion at a specific electron ionization potential.
jeahomgrajan

Homework Statement

Ok, to determine ksp we need to know the concentratison of Ag+2 and SO4-2

Homework Equations

to find ksp for calcium hydroxide we used titration

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking about evaporting it
but I am not sure if I am right, help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asked to desing the experiment? What analytical techniques are available to you?

i am able to use anything

What analytical techniques of determining concentration do you know?

i don't understand what you are trying to immpply

Nothing yet, so far I have just asked a question.

To determine Kso you have to find out concentration of Ag+ and/or SO42- in the saturated solution. There are numeorus techniques that can be used, starting with classic - titrimetry, gravimetry, ending with instrumental methods - like spectroscopy or electrochemistry. Which of those do you know?

Well for one experiment i did a titration lab to determine ksp, but for this lab my teacher was refeering to heating the silver sulfate... and I am not sure what he is trying to say, so that is basically what i am asking, how can you determine the ksp for silver sulfate by eheating it ?

No idea what he refers to, colud be that drying out is the idea - but IMHO it doesn't make sense. There is slighly below 1 mg of the solid per 1 mL of the solution, to get reasonable accuracy you will have to evaporated a lot of solution.

alright suppose you do titration , which acid can you use?and why

You can't use acid for titration in this case. There is no base that can be neutralized. Titration is not only for acid/base determination. There are methods - Mohr, Fajans - that can be used for silver determination, however, I don't think they will work here - silver concentration is too low.

In this case what method would you use...

Ion selective electrode sounds the most logical approach.

Related to Determining Ksp for Silver Sulfate

1. What is the purpose of determining Ksp for silver sulfate?

The purpose of determining Ksp (solubility product constant) for silver sulfate is to measure the solubility of the compound in water. This constant is a measure of how well a substance dissolves in a solvent and can provide valuable information about the chemical properties of the compound.

2. How is Ksp calculated for silver sulfate?

Ksp for silver sulfate is calculated by taking the product of the molar concentrations of silver and sulfate ions in a saturated solution of the compound. This value is determined experimentally by measuring the concentrations of these ions in the solution at equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of Ksp values for silver sulfate?

The accuracy of Ksp values for silver sulfate can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other ions in the solution. The solubility of a compound is highly dependent on these external conditions, so they must be carefully controlled during experiments to obtain accurate Ksp values.

4. How does Ksp for silver sulfate compare to other ionic compounds?

Ksp for silver sulfate is relatively high compared to other ionic compounds. This means that silver sulfate is more soluble in water than many other ionic compounds. This can be attributed to the strong ionic bond between silver and sulfate ions, which allows them to easily dissociate in water.

5. How can Ksp values for silver sulfate be used in real-world applications?

Ksp values for silver sulfate can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the production of silver nanoparticles, determining the effectiveness of silver-based antimicrobial agents, and understanding the behavior of silver compounds in environmental systems. By accurately determining Ksp, scientists can better understand and utilize the properties of silver sulfate in various industries and fields of study.