Determining Inertia of a block

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the kinetic energy and inertia of an iron block. The final velocity of the block is calculated using the equation K = 1/2 mv^2 and then plugged into a different equation, 0 = m1v1f + m2v2f, to solve the problem. The problem is then questioned due to the assumption that all of the firecracker's energy goes into kinetic energy and the equation having two unknowns. The solution is found using conservation of energy and momentum.
volcore
Homework Statement
A mysterious crate has shown up at your place of work, Firecracker Company, and you are told to measure its inertia. It is too heavy to lift, but it rolls smoothly on casters. Getting an inspiration, you lightly tape a 0.60-kg iron block to the side of the crate, slide a firecracker between the crate and the block, and light the fuse. When the firecracker explodes, the block goes one way and the crate rolls the other way. You measure the crate's speed to be 0.058 m/s by timing how long it takes to cross floor tiles. You look up the specifications of the firecracker and find that it releases 9 J of energy. That's all you need, and you quickly calculate the inertia of the crate.
Relevant Equations
This interaction appears to be an explosive separation one, my text book gave an equation of
ΔK + ΔE int = 1/2 m1* v1f^2 + 1/2 m2 * v2f^2 + ΔE int = 0
Since the problem gave me the kinetic energy and inertia of the iron block, I could plug it into the equation K = 1/2 mv^2 to get the final velocity, I got sqrt(30) for the block's final velocity. From there, I don't really know where to go, I could plug it into the equation above, but ΔE int is unknown, and my professor never mentioned how to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I was able to solve the problem by plugging the numbers into a different equation, 0 = m1v1f + m2v2f.

First a caveat: I don’t like this problem. You have to assume all of the firecracker’s energy goes into kinetic energy. That would never happen. Ok, fine, I’m over it.

Second, under that assumption your energy equation is correct.

Third, as the problem is written your equation has two unknowns, the mass of the crate, and the final velocity of the block. One equation can’t be solved for two unknowns. Do you know anything else?

Ah, yes. You got to it before I could reply. You need conservation of energy and momentum.

Related to Determining Inertia of a block

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion.

2. How do you determine the inertia of a block?

The inertia of a block can be determined by measuring its mass and its acceleration when subjected to a known force.

3. Why is it important to determine the inertia of a block?

Determining the inertia of a block is important in understanding the object's resistance to changes in its motion and can help in predicting its behavior in different situations.

4. What is the formula for calculating inertia?

The formula for calculating inertia is I = m x a, where I is the inertia, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the inertia of a block?

Yes, the inertia of a block can be affected by factors such as its shape, size, and distribution of mass. It can also be affected by external forces acting on the block.