Determining if a function is surjective

In summary, if the range and domain of the function are the same, then the function is onto. However, if the range is different from the codomain, the function is not onto.
smithnya
I understand the concept of a surjective or onto function (to a degree). I understand that if the range and domain of the function are the same then the function is onto. My professor gave an additional definition which I did not understand. Here it goes:

[itex]\forall[/itex]y[itex]\in[/itex]B [itex]\exists[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex]A: f(x) = y

I understand that I need to solve the equation for x, but once I solve the equation for x, what is the next step. How do I use that to demonstrate the function is surjective?

Could you provide a function of your choosing and work out a problem, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that if the range and domain of the function are the same then the function is onto.

No. Take f:R+-->R where f(x) = x. Then the range and domain are the same and the function is not surjective.

The correct definition is the second one you listed, which is self-explanatory if you understand logical notation: For every element y in the codomain, there is an element x in the domain such that f(x) = y.

Number Nine said:
No. Take f:R+-->R where f(x) = x. Then the range and domain are the same and the function is not surjective.

The correct definition is the second one you listed, which is self-explanatory if you understand logical notation: For every element y in the codomain, there is an element x in the domain such that f(x) = y.

Whoops I meant if the range is equal to the codomain then the function is surjective.

If, for any y you are given, you can show that there's an x with f(x)=y, then you have proven that f is surjective. In other words: you need to show some way of determining the x for any y.

You say that "if the range and domain of the function are the same then the function is onto." This depends on your definition of "range". There are two:

(1) The set in which all images y=f(x) lie. This is also called the "codomain" of the function. For instance, if you look at the "square of an real number" function, all your images f(x) will be real numbers (never matrices, vectors or geometric objects like circles or lines). So your codomain is the set of all reals.

(2) The set of all images f(x) and no other elements. This is also called the "image" of the function. In our "square" example, the image contains only the positive reals and zero, since the square of a real number will never be negative.

In a typical example you will be given the codomain, and to show that your function is surjective, you must show that this codomain is also the image. Here's an example:

Consider the set of all pairs (a,b) of positive real numbers. The average of this pair is the number f(a,b) = (a+b)/2. The codomain of f is R+ (i.e. the set of all positive reals). Show that f is surjective.

To prove this, start with a value y=f(?,?). We know that y must be a positive real, so how do we find numbers a and b so that y=f(a,b)? Let's try a=y/2. That's still positive and real, so now we can try to look for b. Actually we can calculate b by b = (3/2)y. And this b is also positive and real.

So for any y we can produce a pair (a,b) with f(a,b)=y. That proves that f is surjective. Q.E.D.

Sure, I would be happy to provide an explanation and an example for determining if a function is surjective.

First, let's define what a surjective function is. A surjective function is a type of function where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, for every y in the range, there exists at least one x in the domain such that f(x) = y.

Now, let's break down the additional definition that your professor gave:

\forally\inB \existsx\inA: f(x) = y

The first part, \forally\inB, means "for all y in the range", which is represented by the variable B. This means that we are considering all possible values of y in the range.

The second part, \existsx\inA, means "there exists an x in the domain", which is represented by the variable A. This means that for each value of y in the range, there exists at least one x in the domain.

Finally, the last part, f(x) = y, means that the function maps the value of x to the value of y.

Putting it all together, the definition is saying that for every y in the range, there exists at least one x in the domain such that f(x) = y. This is the same as saying that every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain, which is the definition of a surjective function.

Now, let's demonstrate this with an example. Let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x+1. To determine if this function is surjective, we need to show that for every y in the range, there exists at least one x in the domain such that f(x) = y.

Let's start by choosing a value for y, let's say y = 3. Now, we need to solve for x in the equation f(x) = 3.

f(x) = 2x+1
3 = 2x+1
2x = 2
x = 1

So, for y = 3, we have found an x value in the domain (x = 1) that maps to y. This shows that the function is surjective for y = 3.

Let's try another value for y, y = 5.

f

Related to Determining if a function is surjective

What is the definition of a surjective function?

A surjective function, also known as an onto function, is a function where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, every output has at least one corresponding input.

How do you determine if a function is surjective?

To determine if a function is surjective, you can use the vertical line test. If every vertical line intersects the graph of the function at least once, then the function is surjective. Another way is to check if the range of the function is equal to the codomain.

Can a function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a function can be both surjective and injective. A function that is both surjective and injective is called a bijective function. In other words, a bijective function has a one-to-one correspondence between the domain and range.

Are all linear functions surjective?

No, not all linear functions are surjective. A linear function is surjective if and only if its slope is not equal to zero. If the slope is equal to zero, then the function is not surjective because there will be elements in the codomain that are not mapped to by any element in the domain.

What is the difference between a surjective function and an injective function?

The main difference between a surjective function and an injective function is their outputs. A surjective function has every output in the range mapped to by at least one input in the domain, while an injective function has every output in the range mapped to by at most one input in the domain.