Determining Heat of Combustion for a Fuel and Oxygen Mixture

In summary: Oh wait, I see. The 200 mL is the amount of water, not the change in mass of the water. Got it.In summary, during a combustion experiment where a mixture of fuel and oxygen is burned in a constant-volume metal can surrounded by a water bath, the temperature of the water is observed to rise. Heat is transferred from the system to the surrounding water, there is no work done on or by the system, and the sign of U is negative. The heat of combustion (energy released per gram) of the fuel can be calculated by using the equation Q=mcdT, where cwater is 4.2Jg^-1K^-1, and the change in temperature is 35.5C.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

n A student performs a combustion experiment by burn-
ing a mixture of fuel and oxygen in a constant-volume metal can surrounded by a water
bath. During the experiment, the temperature of the water is observed to rise. Regard the
mixture of fuel and oxygen as the system. Steps (a-c) help you think about the problem before
calculating the answer in (d).
(a) Has heat been transferred to/from the system? How can you tell?
(b) Has work been done by/on the system? How can you tell?
(c) What is the sign of U of the system? How can you tell?
(d) 1g of fuel is placed in the can for combustion. During combustion, the 200mL water bath
is observed to increase in temperature by 35.5C. What is the heat of combustion (energy
released per gram) of the fuel?

Homework Equations

dU=dQ-dW
dW=nRT ?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) heat is transferred from the system since the surrounding water rises in temperature?

is this correct and a valid explanation?

b)would this be 0 work done on/by the system as it's a constant volume system?

c)would dU be negative since in this case with no work dU=dQ and dQ is negative (assuming my answer in part a is correct?)

d)I'm not sure what to do here. I thought that maybe I could use W=nRT to find work, but then I realized there is no work. Do I perhaps use the formula dU=nCvdT? This seems too easy, and it doesn't account for the 200ml water (which I am not sure is important). Also, by heat of combustion, does it just mean the Q or U since there is 1g of fuel and it says heat of combustion is energy released per gram?

edit:nvm, Cv for this system is not even given

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
doctordiddy, meet your classmate. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641745
d)I'm not sure what to do here. I thought that maybe I could use W=nRT to find work, but then I realized there is no work. Do I perhaps use the formula dU=nCvdT? This seems too easy, and it doesn't account for the 200ml water (which I am not sure is important). Also, by heat of combustion, does it just mean the Q or U since there is 1g of fuel and it says heat of combustion is energy released per gram?

edit:nvm, Cv for this system is not even given
Can you determine how many Joules have been added to the water?

NascentOxygen said:
doctordiddy, meet your classmate. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641745

Can you determine how many Joules have been added to the water?

I'm assuming you would use the equation Q=mcdT where cwater is given to be 4.2Jg^-1K^-1

so it would be

Q=0.2*4.2*35.5
Q=29.82
?

On a somewhat unrelated note, can you tell me which of these equations are correct and which are not?

W=nRT
W=nRdT
dW=nRdW
W=PV
W=PdV
dW=PdV

thanks.

Also I noted that in the other thread you mentioned that there is work being done on the surroundings for part b? Why is this the case if it is a constant volume system? How can there be work done and heat transferred into the water?

From my textbook: In any process in which the volume is constant, the system does no work because there is no displacement.

Last edited:
doctordiddy said:
I'm assuming you would use the equation Q=mcdT where cwater is given to be 4.2Jg^-1K^-1

so it would be

Q=0.2*4.2*35.5
Q=29.82
?
That's the right idea, though you'd better check that 0.2 gram figure. :smile:
Note, are you able to justify ignoring the heat energy in the by-products of combustion?
Also I noted that in the other thread you mentioned that there is work being done on the surroundings for part b? Why is this the case if it is a constant volume system?
For the energy equation, I was drawing no distinction between energy transferred as heat, and energy lost as work. Both represent transformation of chemical energy, and it's that total energy we seek. No mechanical work is done here.

NascentOxygen said:
That's the right idea, though you'd better check that 0.2 gram figure. :smile:
Note, are you able to justify ignoring the heat energy in the by-products of combustion?

For the energy equation, I was drawing no distinction between energy transferred as heat, and energy lost as work. Both represent transformation of chemical energy, and it's that total energy we seek. No mechanical work is done here.

wouldn't 200ml equal 200g? And since I am using kg it would become 0.2kg?

If you use kg, then you must adjust 4.2Jg^-1K^-1 accordingly. http://imageshack.us/a/img593/2293/starwarssmiley010.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Determining Heat of Combustion for a Fuel and Oxygen Mixture

What is the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion is the amount of heat released when a substance undergoes complete combustion, also known as burning. It is usually measured in joules or calories per mole.

Why is measuring heat of combustion important?

Measuring heat of combustion allows scientists to determine how much energy can be produced by a particular substance when it is burned. This information is useful for understanding the efficiency of fuels and for designing more efficient engines.

How is the heat of combustion measured?

The heat of combustion is typically measured using a bomb calorimeter, which is a device that combusts a sample of the substance in a controlled environment and measures the amount of heat released.

What factors affect the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion can be affected by factors such as the type of fuel, the amount of oxygen available for combustion, and the temperature at which the combustion takes place.

How does the heat of combustion relate to enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the energy required to do work. The heat of combustion is related to enthalpy because when a substance is burned, its chemical potential energy is converted into heat, which increases the enthalpy of the system.