Determining distance from Focus to Point on Parabola

In summary, the conversation is about trying to develop the equation for a parabola at an arbitrary rotation. The speaker is confident they can prove it using trigonometry, but they are curious if there is another way. They mention how they learned to derive the equation for a parabola in analytic geometry and are now trying to rewrite it to hold true regardless of rotation. They have already figured out the distance from a point to the directrix at a specific angle of rotation, but they are struggling to figure out the second part of the equation. The other person points out that knowing the rotation of a line is not enough to write its equation and that they need to also know a point on the line.
Vorde
Hi,

As part of my portfolio for my end of semester math classes, I am trying to develop the equation for a parabola at an arbitrary rotation. I have seen it done based off of substituting X and Y variables with trig terms, and I am confident I could prove it that way, but I am curious if I can do it another way. When I took analytic geometry, we derived the equation for a parabola starting with an equation that simply equated the distance from a point to a line (directrix) and the distance from a point to a another specific point (the focus) and from there we derived the equation of a parabola. What I am trying to do is simply rewrite that equality in a form that holds true regardless of whether or not the directrix (and the parabola) is rotated or not. I have already figured out (I hope so at least) that the distance from an arbitrary point to the directrix where the line is perpendicular to the directrix should be represented by: [tex]\frac{y-tan(\theta)x(sin(90-\theta))}{sin(90)}[/tex]
Where θ is the angle of rotation.

Now I think that all I should have to do is equate that to a formula describing the distance from a point to the focus and then simplify, but I am having trouble coming up with the second part.
Can anyone point me on the right track, or show me why my reasoning so far is wrong?

Thank you,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Vorde said:
Hi,

As part of my portfolio for my end of semester math classes, I am trying to develop the equation for a parabola at an arbitrary rotation. I have seen it done based off of substituting X and Y variables with trig terms, and I am confident I could prove it that way, but I am curious if I can do it another way. When I took analytic geometry, we derived the equation for a parabola starting with an equation that simply equated the distance from a point to a line (directrix) and the distance from a point to a another specific point (the focus) and from there we derived the equation of a parabola. What I am trying to do is simply rewrite that equality in a form that holds true regardless of whether or not the directrix (and the parabola) is rotated or not. I have already figured out (I hope so at least) that the distance from an arbitrary point to the directrix where the line is perpendicular to the directrix should be represented by: [tex]\frac{y-tan(\theta)x(sin(90-\theta))}{sin(90)}[/tex]
Where θ is the angle of rotation.

You haven't shown how you got that, but unfortunately it can't be correct. Here's why. How much a line has been rotated is not enough to write its equation. After all, saying how much a line is rotated is equivalent to just giving its slope. Given the slope, you don't know the equation of the line until you also know a point on the line. Your formula above doesn't use any information except the rotation. Lots of lines have that rotation and the distance from your point (x,y) to the line can't be the same for all of them.

Related to Determining distance from Focus to Point on Parabola

1. How do you determine the distance from the focus to a point on a parabola?

To determine the distance from the focus to a point on a parabola, you can use the distance formula. This involves finding the coordinates of the focus and the point, and then plugging them into the formula: d = √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2]. Once you have calculated the distance, you will have the distance from the focus to the point on the parabola.

2. What is the focus of a parabola?

The focus of a parabola is a fixed point located inside the parabola, equidistant from all points on the curve. It is often denoted by the letter "F" and is an important point in determining the shape and properties of a parabola.

3. How does the distance from the focus to a point on a parabola relate to the directrix?

The distance from the focus to a point on a parabola is always equal to the distance from that point to the directrix, which is a fixed line located outside the parabola. This relationship is one of the defining characteristics of a parabola.

4. Can you determine the distance from the focus to a point on a parabola if you only know the coordinates of the vertex?

Yes, you can determine the distance from the focus to a point on a parabola if you only know the coordinates of the vertex. The distance from the focus to the vertex is equal to the distance from the vertex to the directrix, which is always half the distance from the vertex to the focus. Once you know the distance from the vertex to the focus, you can find the distance from the focus to any other point on the parabola using the distance formula.

5. How is the distance from the focus to a point on a parabola affected by changes in the parabola's equation?

The distance from the focus to a point on a parabola is affected by changes in the parabola's equation in two ways. First, the position of the focus may change if the parabola is translated or rotated. Second, the distance itself may change if the parabola's equation is altered, such as by changing the value of the coefficient in front of the squared term. However, the relationship between the distance from the focus to a point on the parabola and the directrix will always remain the same.