Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Determining convergence of series

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013
I have a question on which test to use for series n=1 to infinity for (-1)^n / (n^3)-ln(n) in order to determine convergence/divergence. I am pretty sure I determined it converges through the Alternating Series Test(correct me if I'm wrong) but I am not sure whether it is conditional or absolute. I tried the Direct Comparison Test but it was inconclusive, and I am stuck now on what to do. I also tried Limit Comparison but the limit goes to infinity so it is also inconclusive. Can you please help?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Yes you are correct.

near infinity the term n^3 is dominant over ln (n).

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013
BTW, I used the comparison c(x) = 1/n^3 for DCT and LCT since we know 1/n^3 converges by p-series.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
BTW, I used the comparison c(x) = 1/n^3 for DCT and LCT since we know 1/n^3 converges by p-series.
Right, $\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(\frac{1}{n^3-\log n}:\frac{1}{n^3}\right)=\ldots =1\neq 0$, so the series is absolutely convergent.

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013
What test did you use to determine absolute convergence? Or was that just analyzing end behavior?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
When I tried the Limit Comparison Test, I got infinity as n approaches infinity. How did you get 1?
$\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty}\left(\frac{1}{n^3-\log n}:\frac{1}{n^3}\right)=\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{n^3}{n^3-\log n}=\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{1}{1-(\log n/n^3)}=\frac{1}{1-0}=1$