Determining Constants in Second Order Circuit Analysis

In summary, This conversation discusses an electrical engineering lab that focused on the steady state response of an RLC circuit. The main objective was to determine the circuit's critical resistance value and observe the overdamped and underdamped responses. The conversation then goes on to discuss the theoretical values and equations used in the lab, specifically focusing on the underdamped case. The equations (1 and 2) for finding s1 and s2 are mentioned, as well as the final objective of determining i(t). The conversation also mentions the need to solve for the constants A1 and A2, and the potential difficulty in finding the correct equations to use. Overall, the conversation provides insight on how to solve for the constants and obtain the general solution for
shniflbaag

Homework Statement

This was an electrical engineering lab, dealing with the steady state response of an RLC circuit (diagram attached). The main part of the lab consisted of experimentally determining the circuit's critical resistance value, and viewing the overdamped and underdamped responses. Now, I've hit the point where I'm determining the theoretical values for what we measured. I'm starting with the underdamped case, and found s1 and s2 using equation 1 (below). My final objective here is to determine i(t), which, I gather, requires that you solve for the constants A1 and A2, which appear in several of the equations below. Also, FYI I have already solved for ωo, ωd and [itex]\alpha[/itex].
Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

(1) s=-[itex]\frac{R}{2L}[/itex][itex]\pm\sqrt{(\frac{R}{2L})^{2}-\frac{1}{LC}}[/itex]

(2) i(t)=A1e(s1t)+A2e(s2t)

The Attempt at a Solution

After looking around for a while, it seems as though the way to solve for these two is by creating a system of equations comprised of v(0) and the derivative of i(0), however every single source I've found has described it differently and my own lab simply says "solve for it" and nothing else on the subject.

so far I'm fairly sure that one of the equations is V(0)=A11+A2=1 (we used a 1V signal). The other equation varies, and I've had trouble finding one that makes sense. The closest I think I've gotten was:

[itex]\frac{i_{c}(0)}{C}[/itex] = S1A1+S2A2

However nowhere is that equation mentioned in my lab and I don't see how it would make sense.

Thanks again

Attachments

• lab7_diag.png
    lab7_diag.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
shniflbaag said:

Homework Statement

This was an electrical engineering lab, dealing with the steady state response of an RLC circuit (diagram attached). The main part of the lab consisted of experimentally determining the circuit's critical resistance value, and viewing the overdamped and underdamped responses. Now, I've hit the point where I'm determining the theoretical values for what we measured. I'm starting with the underdamped case, and found s1 and s2 using equation 1 (below). My final objective here is to determine i(t), which, I gather, requires that you solve for the constants A1 and A2, which appear in several of the equations below. Also, FYI I have already solved for ωo, ωd and [itex]\alpha[/itex].
Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

(1) s=-[itex]\frac{R}{2L}[/itex][itex]\pm\sqrt{(\frac{R}{2L})^{2}-\frac{1}{LC}}[/itex]

(2) i(t)=A1e(s1t)+A2e(s2t)

This is the so-called homogeneous solution ( ih, solution to the reduced equation. It's called 'reduced' since we set the equation = 0).

To comlete the picture you need to add the 'particular solution' due to the voltage input:

Assume ip = Csin(wt) + Dcos(wt)
where the subscript "p" on i refers to the 'particular solution'.

Solve for C and D using the orig. equation & equating coefficients of like terms (2 equations, 2 unknowns C and D), then solve for A and B by using i = ih + ip and your initial conditions on i and di/dt (two more equations, 2 unknowns A and B). This is standard stuff.

So your 'general solution' is i(t) = ih + ip
= Aexp(s1t) + Bexp(s2t) + Csin(wt) + Dcos(wt).

You realize s1 and s2 are complex so I hope you're familiar with the Euler identity for exp(jθ).
i(t) will of course wind up being a real number.

Related to Determining Constants in Second Order Circuit Analysis

1. What is a second order circuit?

A second order circuit is an electrical circuit that contains at least one inductor and one capacitor, in addition to resistors. These components can create complex behavior, making it necessary to use advanced techniques to analyze and solve for the circuit's behavior.

2. How do you determine the constants in a second order circuit analysis?

The constants in a second order circuit analysis can be determined by using Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and the equations for inductors and capacitors. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to find the values of the constants.

3. What are some common applications of second order circuit analysis?

Second order circuit analysis is used in a variety of applications, including designing power supplies, filters, and oscillators. It is also used in analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems, such as spring-mass-damper systems.

4. Can second order circuit analysis be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, second order circuit analysis can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. In AC circuits, the inductors and capacitors have complex impedance values, and the equations for inductors and capacitors must be modified to take this into account.

5. What are some techniques for simplifying second order circuit analysis?

Some techniques for simplifying second order circuit analysis include using Thevenin's or Norton's theorem to reduce the circuit to an equivalent circuit, using mesh or nodal analysis to solve for unknown variables, and using Laplace transforms to convert differential equations into algebraic equations.