Determining Concentration of H2SO4 in Diluted Solution

• Thread starter Kitty808
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary: The concentration of the sample after it has been diluted. So, now you want to find the concentration of the sample AFTER it has been diluted.
Kitty808

Homework Statement

Ok, this is a lab related question. Given a diluted solution of approximately 1.25M H2SO4, determine the amount of solution needed to use for titration with the base you prepared and standardized. Do not use a volume of battery acid that will require more than 20mL of base to reach the equivalence point. Then determine the concentration of H2SO4 in the diluted solution you were given.

Homework Equations

Balanced chemical equation: H2SO4 + 2NaOH --> 2H2O + Na2SO4
[NaOH] = 0.0939M

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the amount of diluted H2SO4 to be 18.9 mL (I used 18 mL)

20mL NaOH(1L/1000mL)(0.0939M NaOH)(1 mol H2SO4/2 mol NaOH) = 0.0945M H2SO4
(1.25M)(V1)=(0.0945M)(250mL); V1 = 18.9mL
It's at this point where I get stuck. I'm supposed to calculate the concentration of H2SO4 in the diluted acid solution then Find the original [H2SO4] in the undiluted battery acid (assume diluted 1:5). I know I'm supposed to use a titration calculation to find the concentration of the diluted acid but I'm not sure how to set it up and which numbers to use to end with mol/L H2SO4. I'm also not sure how to find the initial concentration. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You showed no steps for dilution of the sample. Your basic calculation arrangement gave you a prediction (V1) for how much sample of battery acid to take to use your 20 ml. volume of titrant. Now, do you want to make an analytical dilution of your sample? What size volumetric flask and what aloquat do you want to use?

edited: next posting uses improved understanding of what you asked.

Last edited:
I reviewed your question again; your DILUTED sample is about 1.25M, so when you find the concentration of your DILUTED sample, then you use the knowledge of how it was diluted (you gave a ratio of 1:5 , so use it.). What is the meaning of this dilution?

Related to Determining Concentration of H2SO4 in Diluted Solution

What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another solution. It involves adding the known solution, called the titrant, to the unknown solution until a chemical reaction between the two is complete.

Why is titration important?

Titration is important because it allows for the precise determination of the concentration of a solution. This information is crucial in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and environmental testing. It also allows scientists to understand the properties of the substances being tested and can aid in quality control measures.

What is the purpose of titrating H2SO4 and NaOH?

The purpose of titrating H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) and NaOH (sodium hydroxide) is to determine the concentration of either solution. These two substances are often used in industrial processes and it is important to know their concentration for accurate and efficient production. Additionally, titration of these two substances can be used to neutralize solutions and determine the pH of a solution.

What is the titration process for H2SO4 and NaOH?

The titration process for H2SO4 and NaOH involves adding a known volume of one solution (the titrant) to a known volume of the other solution (the analyte) until the reaction between the two is complete. This can be determined by using an indicator, which changes color when the reaction is complete. The volume of titrant used can then be used to calculate the concentration of the analyte solution.

What are some safety precautions for titrating H2SO4 and NaOH?

When titrating H2SO4 and NaOH, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. These substances can be corrosive and cause skin and eye irritation. It is also important to handle these solutions with care and avoid spilling or splashing. Additionally, proper ventilation should be used to avoid inhaling any fumes. If any spills occur, they should be immediately cleaned up and disposed of properly.