Determining Coefficient of Kinetic Friction w/m, t, and v

In summary, the block of wood has a mass of 2.0 kg and initial velocity of 9.0 m/s. It comes to rest in 2.5 s and we are looking for the coefficient of kinetic friction. Using the equations rho=mv, change in rho=F*change in t, Force of friction = mu*Force normal, and Force normal=mg, we can calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction to be approximately 0.37.
crushedcorn

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg block of wood slides over a horizontal surface and comes to rest in 2.5 s. If its initial velocity was 9.0 m/s, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

rho=mv
change in rho=F*change in t
Force of friction = mu*Force normal
Force normal=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

rho=(2.0 kg)(9.0 m/s)=18 kg*m/s
18 kg*m/s=Force of friction(2.5 s)
Force of friction=7.2
mu*Force normal=7.2
mu(2.0 kg)(9.80 m/s squared)=7.2
mu=0.37

I don't know what the correct answer to this question is and I potentially may not know until the day of my exam. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing this correctly or if I'm missing something? I really appreciated it!

Physics news on Phys.org
crushedcorn said:

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg block of wood slides over a horizontal surface and comes to rest in 2.5 s. If its initial velocity was 9.0 m/s, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

rho=mv
change in rho=F*change in t
Force of friction = mu*Force normal
Force normal=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

rho=(2.0 kg)(9.0 m/s)=18 kg*m/s
18 kg*m/s=Force of friction(2.5 s)
Force of friction=7.2
mu*Force normal=7.2
mu(2.0 kg)(9.80 m/s squared)=7.2
mu=0.37

I don't know what the correct answer to this question is and I potentially may not know until the day of my exam. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing this correctly or if I'm missing something? I really appreciated it!

Looks good to me.

F = ma = μN = μmg

a = μg

μ = a/g = [(9m/s)/(2.5s)]/(9.8m/s^2) = 0.367

:smile:

berkeman said:
Looks good to me.

F = ma = μN = μmg

a = μg

μ = a/g = [(9m/s)/(2.5s)]/(9.8m/s^2) = 0.367

:smile:

Thanks!

Related to Determining Coefficient of Kinetic Friction w/m, t, and v

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction refers to the value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is moving relative to the other. It is denoted by the symbol μk and is a unitless quantity.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by conducting an experiment where the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity is measured. The coefficient can be calculated by dividing this force by the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is an important factor in understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It helps determine the amount of force needed to overcome friction and maintain motion, and is also used in engineering and design to ensure the proper functioning of machines and equipment.

4. How do mass, time, and velocity affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is independent of mass and time, but it can be affected by the velocity of the object in motion. As the velocity increases, the coefficient may change due to factors such as air resistance and changes in surface conditions.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the value that represents the resistance between two surfaces when one is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction represents the resistance when the two surfaces are at rest. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and start motion.