Determining charges and current distributions

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving computing charge and current distribution based on a given field. The equation F = 2yey is used for r < 1 and F = 0 for r > 1. The potential function φ = -y2 is determined for r < 1. The conversation also discusses finding point charges, line charges, surface charges, volume charges, line currents, surface currents, and volume currents in relation to the given field. There is a discussion about the reasoning for determining the existence of point charges and the use of integrals and the Dirac delta function. The conversation also mentions the challenges of dealing with methods not covered in the course literature and the use of epsilon-naught in the
TubbaBlubba

Homework Statement

I need to solve a bit of a simple "reverse" problem that I'm unable to find treated in any detail, probably because it's actually reasonably straightforward. What I need to do is to "compute the charge and current distribution that give rise to [the following] field."

Homework Equations

F[/B] = 2yey when r < 1
F = 0 when r > 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, this gives us a potential function φ = -y2 (for r < 1).

Now, we want to determine all the point charges, line charges, surface charges, volume charges, line currents, surface currents, and volume currents. Surface charges and currents, and volume charges and currents, are simple - they can just be computed from the field using the dot and cross product of the normal with the field difference, and the divergence and curl of the field respectively. I won't be typing them all out, but .e.g for the volume charge ρ we have

∇⋅F = 2 = ρ for r < 1,
(and ρ = 0 for r > 1.)

But when it comes to point charges, and line charges/currents, I'm just told that, e.g. for a point charge q we have

φ = q(4πr)-1.

Um, so presumably we don't have q = -y24πr, because that's, well, nonsense in this context.
Instead, I reason that there is no part of my potential of this form, and therefore we have no point charge; q = 0 (which I know is the correct answer; it is also clear from the form of the field). What I wonder is the following: is this reasoning adequate, or is there some handy calculation (presumably some integral using the Dirac delta function) I could go through to show that there is indeed no point charge (and similarly for the other two)?

Thank you in advance; I hope this isn't too general or diffuse a question.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I think I figured it out after a long while of pondering including four different textbooks and examining multiple previous exams. When they ask me to find point charges, if any, they want me to look at the form of the integral and maybe check for a charge at the origin with a limiting volume integral as r goes to zero. Similarly for line charges and currents if the field has a "cylindrical" component. Finally, for surface charges/currents, the surface in question is the one where the field is not described (in this case, sphere where r = 1).

You know, when they give us assignments calling for methods not remotely covered in the course literature (and EM Field Theory is not until next half-term), it'd be pretty nice if they could be a bit more descriptive of what they're looking for. That's mathematical physics for you, I guess...

(By the way, I'm aware that I'm emitting epsilon-naught above. As do the assignments in this course. Yeah.)

Related to Determining charges and current distributions

What is the purpose of determining charges and current distributions?

The purpose of determining charges and current distributions is to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and to predict the movement and interaction of charged particles in a given system.

How do scientists determine charges and current distributions?

Scientists determine charges and current distributions through various methods such as Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, and Ampere's law. These laws use mathematical equations to calculate the electric and magnetic fields produced by charged particles.

What is the difference between charge and current?

Charge refers to the fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electric and magnetic forces. On the other hand, current refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor.

Why is it important to accurately determine charges and current distributions?

Accurately determining charges and current distributions is important because it allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. This information is crucial in understanding and designing various technologies such as electric circuits and motors.

What are some real-world applications of determining charges and current distributions?

Determining charges and current distributions has a wide range of real-world applications, including the design of electrical systems, telecommunications, medical imaging, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of lightning, solar flares, and other natural phenomena.