Determining Angle with Vector Components

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the angle \phi needs to be found in a structure with a horizontal force of \vec{F}=400 lbs. A diagram is drawn and the Pythagorean theorem and law of sines are used to solve for \phi, resulting in an incorrect answer. It is then realized that the law of cosines should have been used instead.
srg
Gold Member
Greetings women and men,

I have a problem in which I have to find an angle [itex]\phi[/itex].

http://srg.sdf.org/images/PF/StaticsHW.png

A horizontal force of [itex]\vec{F}=400 lbs[/itex] is placed on the structure at point A. Find angle [itex]\phi[/itex] to give the AB component of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] a magnitude of 600 lbs.

To solve this, I drew a diagram
http://srg.sdf.org/images/PF/StaticsHW2.png

I used the Pythagorean theorem to find x: [tex]600^2=400^2+x^2 \rightarrow x=\sqrt{600^2-400^2} \therefore x=447.2[/tex]

Then I used the law of sines to find [itex]\phi[/itex]: [tex]\frac{447.2}{\sin{30}}=\frac{400}{\sin\phi} \rightarrow \frac{400\sin{30}}{447.2}=\sin\phi \rightarrow \arcsin{\frac{400\sin{30}}{447.2}}=\phi=26.6\deg[/tex]

However, [itex]\phi=26.6\deg[/itex] is not the same as the answer in the back of my textbook. I'm not sure where I went wrong. The correct answer in the textbook is [itex]\phi=38.3\deg[/itex].

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where's the right angle? The pythagorean theorem is predicated on using a right triangle.

Likes 1 person
jedishrfu said:
Where's the right angle? The pythagorean theorem is predicated on using a right triangle.

Ah! Duh! That's why. Law of cosines it is. Can't believe I overlooked that.

Thanks!

Uh ... do you understand the Pythagorean Theorem? What kind of triangles does it apply to?

EDIT: I see that jedishrfu beat me to it.

Hello,

It seems like you have made a small error in your calculations. When using the law of sines, you need to use the opposite side of the angle you are trying to find, which in this case is 600 lbs. Your equation should be:

\frac{447.2}{\sin{30}}=\frac{600}{\sin\phi} \rightarrow \frac{600\sin{30}}{447.2}=\sin\phi \rightarrow \arcsin{\frac{600\sin{30}}{447.2}}=\phi=38.3\deg

I hope this helps! Remember to always double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Related to Determining Angle with Vector Components

What is the concept of "Determining Angle with Vector Components"?

"Determining Angle with Vector Components" is a mathematical method used to find the angle between two vectors by breaking them down into their x and y components.

What are the steps involved in determining the angle with vector components?

The steps involved in determining the angle with vector components are:
1. Identify the two vectors and their x and y components
2. Use the dot product formula to find the magnitude of the two vectors
3. Use the dot product formula again to find the dot product of the two vectors
4. Use the inverse cosine function to find the angle between the two vectors

Why is determining the angle with vector components important?

Determining the angle with vector components is important because it allows us to find the direction and magnitude of a vector. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

What are some real-life applications of determining the angle with vector components?

Some real-life applications of determining the angle with vector components include:
- Calculating the trajectory of a projectile in physics
- Finding the direction and speed of wind in meteorology
- Determining the force and direction of a moving object in engineering
- Navigation and mapping in geology and cartography

Are there any limitations to determining the angle with vector components?

Yes, there are some limitations to determining the angle with vector components. This method assumes that the vectors are two-dimensional and have a starting point of (0,0). It also cannot be used for vectors that are parallel or anti-parallel to each other, as the angle between them would be either 0 or 180 degrees.