Determining acid/base properties

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the stability of a base can be determined by looking at the conjugate species and considering properties like electronegativity, atomic size, and electron withdrawing atoms. However, the only sure way to determine the stability is by testing it experimentally. Resonance can also play a role in determining stability, but the solvent and other factors may also have an impact.
MathewsMD
How can you tell NH3 is a better base than HOCOO-?

I look at the conjugate species in both to determine their relative stabilities. Where NH4+ is the conjugate acid of ammonia and HOCOOH the conjugate acid for acetate. In this case, isn't the NH3 more stable than NH4+ since it is uncharged yet still has a full octet on the N? Also, wouldn't the HOCOOH be more stable than HOCOO- since it's not charged and thus doesn't even have any charge to spread. Therefore, using this reasoning of the actual charges, should HOCOO- be the better base since its conjugate acid is more stable (lower in energy; it is weaker than NH4+)?

I'm sure there are other properties like the electronegativity of the atom bearing the charge, atomic size, electron withdrawing atoms in the compounds and net charge, but how do you determine the priority when comparing compounds like this? Are there any other properties I'm missing?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:

I look at the conjugate species in both to determine their relative stabilities. Where NH4+ is the conjugate acid of ammonia and HOCOOH the conjugate acid for acetate. In this case, isn't the NH3 more stable than NH4+ since it is uncharged yet still has a full octet on the N? Also, wouldn't the HOCOOH be more stable than HOCOO- since it's not charged and thus doesn't even have any charge to spread. Therefore, using this reasoning of the actual charges, should HOCOO- be the better base since its conjugate acid is more stable (lower in energy; it is weaker than NH4+)?

I'm sure there are other properties like the electronegativity of the atom bearing the charge, atomic size, electron withdrawing atoms in the compounds and net charge, but how do you determine the priority when comparing compounds like this? Are there any other properties I'm missing?

HOCOOH is carbonic acid not acetic so you need to clarify what you are talking about.

MathewsMD said:

The only sure way is to test it experimentally.

Borek said:
The only sure way is to test it experimentally.

Okay. Is there a framework for analyzing properties of the molecules to at least make an educated guess before experiment? I tried to look at electronegativity, atomic size, resonance and inductive effect but may be looking past something.

I try to rationalize that -COOH is more stable than NH4+ since it is uncharged and has full octets while the other has a charge, but this doesn't coincide with experimental results. I just don't quite seem to comprehend exactly why resonance would be more stable in this case, since -COO- has a charge and I realize resonance is more stable than a localized charged, but isn't no charge for -COOH even more stable? I'm sure the solvent (water in this case) has a major role and possibly induces a strong electrostatic attraction with the partial negative oxygens, but even still, those waters are not directly bonded and thus have more unstable bonding with the negative oxygens than a strongly covalently bonded hydrogen.

I would first look at the chemical structures of NH3 and HOCOO- to determine their acid/base properties. NH3 is a neutral molecule, while HOCOO- has a negative charge. In general, bases are molecules that can accept protons (H+), while acids are molecules that can donate protons.

In the case of NH3, it has a lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom, which makes it a good candidate for accepting protons. This is because the lone pair can easily form a bond with a proton, making NH3 a strong base.

On the other hand, HOCOO- has a negative charge on the oxygen atom, which means it is already carrying an extra electron. This makes it less likely to accept another electron, making it a weaker base compared to NH3.

Another way to determine the relative strength of a base is to look at the stability of its conjugate acid. In this case, NH4+ is the conjugate acid of NH3, while HOCOOH is the conjugate acid of HOCOO-. The stability of the conjugate acid is related to the strength of the base. A more stable conjugate acid indicates a weaker base, and vice versa. In this case, NH4+ is more stable than HOCOOH, indicating that NH3 is a stronger base than HOCOO-.

Other factors that can influence the strength of a base include electronegativity, atomic size, and electron withdrawing atoms in the compound. However, in this particular comparison, the main factor is the presence of a negative charge on HOCOO- which makes it a weaker base compared to NH3.

Overall, there are multiple properties that can be considered when determining the acid/base properties of a molecule. However, in this case, the presence of a negative charge and the stability of the conjugate acid are the main factors indicating that NH3 is a better base than HOCOO-.

Related to Determining acid/base properties

1. What are the key factors that determine if a substance is an acid or a base?

The key factors that determine if a substance is an acid or a base are its chemical composition and its ability to donate or accept protons. Acids are substances that can donate protons, while bases are substances that can accept protons. Another important factor is the pH of the solution, which is a measure of its acidity or basicity.

2. How do you experimentally determine the acid/base properties of a substance?

To experimentally determine the acid/base properties of a substance, you can perform a titration. This involves measuring the volume of a known concentration of acid or base needed to neutralize a given amount of the substance. The endpoint of the titration, where the solution becomes neutral, can be determined using an indicator or a pH meter.

3. What are some common indicators used to determine the acidity or basicity of a solution?

Some common indicators used to determine the acidity or basicity of a solution include litmus paper, phenolphthalein, and universal indicator. Litmus paper turns red in the presence of an acid and blue in the presence of a base. Phenolphthalein is colorless in acidic solutions but turns pink in basic solutions. Universal indicator is a mixture of several indicators that can produce a range of colors depending on the pH of the solution.

4. Can a substance be both an acid and a base?

Yes, a substance can be both an acid and a base. This phenomenon is known as amphoteric behavior. Substances with amphoteric behavior have the ability to donate and accept protons, depending on the conditions of the solution. Water is a common example of an amphoteric substance.

5. How do the acid/base properties of a substance affect its chemical reactions?

The acid/base properties of a substance can greatly affect its chemical reactions. Acids and bases can react with each other to form salts and water in a neutralization reaction. They can also participate in other types of reactions, such as acid-base catalysis, where they act as a catalyst to speed up a chemical reaction. Additionally, the pH of a solution can affect the solubility and reactivity of certain substances.