Determining 4 intersection points of two polar graphs?

In summary, by setting r = 2 and using the equation r^2 = 9sin(2theta), we can find the 4 points of intersection by solving for theta using the inverse of 4/9 and accounting for the different values of k. This can be done without a calculator or calculus by using the formula 2theta = (-1)^k*arcsin(4/9) + k*pi.
Tekee

Homework Statement

r = 2
r^2 = 9sin(2theta)
Find the 4 points of intersection

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since r = 2, 4 = 9sin(2theta)...
4/9 = sin(2theta)

Taking the inverse of 4/9 only gives me one answer on the calculator (obviously), and I do not know where to attain the 3 other points. (also, is there a way to do this without a calculator/calculus?) - IE 4/9 = 2sin(theta)cos(theta), although I do not see how this helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sin 2\theta=\frac{4}{9}\Rightarrow 2\theta =(-1)^k\arcsin\frac{4}{9}+k\pi\Rightarrow\theta =(-1)^k\frac{\arcsin\frac{4}{9}}{2}+\frac{k\pi}{2}[/tex]
[tex]k=0\Rightarrow\theta=\frac{1}{2}\arcsin\frac{4}{9}[/tex]
[tex]k=1\Rightarrow\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\arcsin\frac{4}{9}[/tex]
[tex]k=2\Rightarrow\theta=\pi+\frac{1}{2}\arcsin\frac{4}{9}[/tex]
[tex]k=3\Rightarrow\theta=\frac{3\pi}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\arcsin\frac{4}{9}[/tex]

I would approach this problem by first understanding the polar coordinate system and its relationship to the Cartesian coordinate system. I would also review the properties of polar graphs and how they are affected by changes in the equations.

To find the intersection points of two polar graphs, I would start by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for theta. This will give me the values of theta at which the two graphs intersect. Then, I would substitute these values of theta back into one of the original equations to find the corresponding values of r. This will give me the coordinates of the intersection points.

In this case, the two equations are r = 2 and r^2 = 9sin(2theta). Setting them equal to each other, we get:

2 = 9sin(2theta)

Dividing both sides by 9, we get:

2/9 = sin(2theta)

Taking the inverse sine of both sides, we get:

sin^-1(2/9) = 2theta

Dividing both sides by 2, we get:

sin^-1(2/9)/2 = theta

Using a calculator, we can find the value of theta to be approximately 0.482. Substituting this back into the original equation r = 2, we get r = 2. Therefore, the first intersection point is (2, 0.482).

To find the other three intersection points, we can use the symmetry properties of polar graphs. Since the equations are symmetric about the x-axis, we can add or subtract π to the value of theta to get the other three points. Therefore, the other three points are (2, -0.482), (-2, 2.66), and (-2, -2.66).

In summary, the four intersection points of the two polar graphs are (2, 0.482), (2, -0.482), (-2, 2.66), and (-2, -2.66). These can also be verified by graphing the two equations on a polar coordinate system.

Related to Determining 4 intersection points of two polar graphs?

1. How do you determine the intersection points of two polar graphs?

To determine the intersection points of two polar graphs, you need to set the equations of the two graphs equal to each other and then solve for the values of theta that make the equations equal. These values of theta represent the x-coordinates of the intersection points.

2. What is the significance of finding intersection points in polar graphs?

Finding the intersection points of two polar graphs allows you to analyze and compare the relationships and patterns between the two graphs. It can also help in solving real-life problems, such as determining the location of a moving object or the optimal path for a given scenario.

3. Can there be more than four intersection points between two polar graphs?

Yes, there can be more than four intersection points between two polar graphs. This can happen when the two graphs have multiple overlapping sections or when they intersect at different points along the same curve.

4. How can technology be used to determine the intersection points of two polar graphs?

Technology, such as graphing calculators or computer programs, can be used to plot the polar graphs and automatically find the intersection points. This can save time and provide more accurate results compared to manually solving the equations.

5. Are there any special cases in determining the intersection points of polar graphs?

Yes, there are a few special cases in determining the intersection points of polar graphs. These include when the two graphs are identical, when one graph is a scaled version of the other, or when one graph is a circle with a radius of 0. In these cases, there are either an infinite number of intersection points or no intersection points at all.