Determing Spring Constant by Graphing

In summary: This can be rearranged to get: K = 2g(m/hf - ho) / X^{2}_{o}In summary, the conversation is discussing a lab where a small wooden cylinder was launched using a spring inside a pipe. Data was collected for different masses and it is now being asked to derive an equation for the spring constant of the launcher. The derived equation is K = 2Us/X02 = 2(.5m2ahfavg - mgh0) / X02. The goal of the lab is to graph x02/m on the x-axis and hf-h0 on the y-axis to get a straight line with a slope of 2g(m
dropgigawatt

Homework Statement

In class, we did a lab that consisted of putting a small wooden cylinder in a pipe that contained a spring, pushing it down on the spring and locking it in, then unlocking it which allowed it to launch straight up. We then would add fishing weights to the block to increase the mass and did 3 trials with each mass. This is my collected data:

Constant Values: h0 = .258 m, x0 = .022 m, xf = .000 m, V0 = 0 m/s, Vf = 0 m/s

Height of uncompressed projectile
Trials 1-3: m = .0228 kg, hf (avg) = 1.367 m
Trials 4-6: m = .0280 kg, hf (avg) = 1.304 m
Trials 7-9: m = .0329 kg, hf (avg) = 1.076 m
Trials 10-12: m = .0380 kg, hf (avg) = 0.951 m
Trials 13-15: m = .0424 kg, hf (avg) = 0.860 m

It now asks me to derive an equation for the spring constant of the projectile launcher based on the data I have. I came up with this: K = 2Us/X02 = 2(.5m2ahfavg - mgh0) / X02

Then it says Your goal for the lab is to determine the spring constant. If you graph your data with x02/m on the x-axis and hf-h0 on the y-axis you should get a straight line with a slope of _____ and a y-intercept of _____.

Homework Equations

V2 = V02 + 2aΔy
Us = .5Kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said above, I derived K = 2Us/X02 = 2(.5m2ahfavg - mgh0) / X02

I tested it with some old data in my notes (that I knew K for) and it worked... but now that I see it wants me to graph x02/m on the x-axis and hf-h0 on the y-axis, I feel like I did it wrong because I can't see where those values became relevant.

So my question is did I derive that equation correctly? And how does it relate to what it wants me to graph? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that all the energy stored in the spring

Us = 1/2 K X[itex]^{2}_{o}[/itex]

would be converted to the potential energy of the block at the top

Ub = mg(hf - ho)

so that

hf - ho = [itex] ( \frac{K}{2g} ) \frac{X^{2}_{o}}{m}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Determing Spring Constant by Graphing

1. What is the purpose of determining spring constant by graphing?

The purpose of determining spring constant by graphing is to measure the stiffness of a spring, which is represented by the spring constant. This value is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and materials science, as it can help predict the behavior of a spring under different conditions.

2. How is the spring constant calculated from a graph?

The spring constant can be calculated from a graph by finding the slope of the linear portion of the graph. This slope represents the ratio of the force applied to the displacement of the spring, which is equivalent to the spring constant.

3. What type of graph is used to determine spring constant?

A graph of force vs. displacement is typically used to determine spring constant. This type of graph allows for a linear relationship to be observed, making it easier to calculate the slope and determine the spring constant.

4. Can spring constant be determined using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for determining spring constant, such as using Hooke's Law or performing experiments with different masses and measuring the resulting displacements. However, graphing is a common and effective method for determining spring constant.

5. How accurate is determining spring constant by graphing?

The accuracy of determining spring constant by graphing depends on the precision of the data collected and the linearity of the graph. To ensure accuracy, it is important to use precise measuring tools and confirm the linear relationship between force and displacement.