Determine which reference frame is inertial

In summary, a reference frame is a generalization of a rigid body, and is necessary for determining spatial location and motion of objects. It can be fixed to a rigid body or set of bodies with constant distances between them. However, it does not necessarily have to be made of real bodies.
alvaros
Suppose an empty space and two points.
The distance from point A to B is d = k . t^2 k=constant t = time

The question is: Which point is an Inertial Frame of reference ?

Suppose an empty space and two references frames.
A is rotating at w with center B.
But
B is rotating at w with center A.
Which reference frame is rotating ?

Physics news on Phys.org
alvaros said:

The question is: Which point is an Inertial Frame of reference ?

It is impossible to answer this question, without specifying the real physical forces that act on objects at each point. Either A is inertial and B is not, or B is inertial and A is not, or neither A nor B are inertial. The only thing we can say is that both of them cannot be inertial.

But

Same answer.

Inertial frames are a physical concept, not a purely mathematical one.

He's right ^_^...

I've always wondered something on the subject. Suppose you have a certain amount of points, all moving except one. But you could take another point and move along it, to be in its frame, thereby thinking that point is 'standing still'. Then the one that previously was still, moves in your new frame. So, like with alvaros, you can't determine which one is standing still.

But if you have enough points, all moving and accelerating in a different way, will it still be impossible to determine which one is standing still? Or will there be analomies if you look at it the wrong way?

jtbell:
It is impossible to answer this question
I agree.

The answer I was waiting for:
"You need real bodies ( with mass ) to define a IFR."
If you place real bodies at points A and B you can get an answer.

In the case: ( I suppose that mass of A = mass of B )
Because there is an empty space the only possible force is between A and B -> both are accelerating and the IFR is at the middle of A and B.

In the case: ( I suppose that mass of A = mass of B )
But
A and B are rotating with center the middle the segment that goes from A to B.

If you change the masses of A or B youll get different results.
Do you agree ?

alvaros said:
I agree.

The answer I was waiting for:
"You need real bodies ( with mass ) to define a IFR."

For the last time, not true. An inertial frame is one in which Newton's laws hold. Given one inertial frame, an arbitrary constant linear transformation plus an arbitrary constant velocity translation forms another inertial frame. You do not need to define an inertial frame in terms of masses.

We do not know whether Newton's laws will be even approximately true in your imaginary universe. We do not know what causes inertia. One plausible explanation is all of the mass in the universe (Mach's Principle). If this is the case, things will behave quite differently in an empty space.
Because there is an empty space the only possible force is between A and B -> both are accelerating and the IFR is at the middle of A and B.
Two things here:First, this an additional conjecture not stated in your original post and is also supposition. What if the two objects have charge?

Second, this clause "... and the IFR" is just wrong. If there is not just one inertial frame. There are either none or there are an uncountably infinite number of them.

D H:
An inertial frame is one in which Newton's laws hold
Newtons laws refer to mass.

D H:
Two things here:First, this an additional conjecture not stated in your original post and is also supposition. What if the two objects have charge?
I wrote "empty space". Charge doesn't change anything.

D H:
There are either none or there are an uncountably infinite number of them.
The first statement is not true and the second was implicit.
I meant "and the IFR is at the middle of A and B or ... at any point located at any fixed distance from the middle of A and B"

You do not need to define an inertial frame in terms of masses.
Could you give me an example ?

Allow me please a somewhat longer introduction to reference frames.
(At least, as I understand)
Everything starts with the intuitive idea of distance. This comes from the intuitive experience, that there exist rigid bodies. A rigid body is something, for which: between any two point of it there is a constant distance.
Now having the idea of distance, we can determine spatial location of (pointlike) bodies.
That means: spatial location of anything can only be determined relative to other bodies, using one selected body as unit distance. of course, this position can be a function of time, than we talk about motion. That means: motion can only be defined relative to a rigid bodies.
The reference frame is a generalization of the rigid body. It does not have to be made of real body, the only important characteristics of the ref. frame is that there can be measured distance in it, and between any two points of the frame there is a constant distance.
At first a ref frame is fixed to some rigid body, or to a set of bodies with non-changing distance between them. I would call this: material ref. frame. But, any ref. frame can be used to describe spatial locaion can be used, which has given motion to material ref. frames. E.g. the ref frame fixed to the center of gravity of some bodies (and not to any of them) is widely used in mechanics.
It has been turned out, that there exist ref. frames, in which Newtons 1st law applies. These are called inertial ref frames.
If there is one, there is uncountable many.
If there is not any inertial frame, than a good approximation can be given by limiting space and time to a small section.
So: to decide, wheter a ref frame is inertia or not, you have to check Newton's 1st law.
sorry for the long text: mutant

From mutant:
Allow me please a somewhat longer introduction to reference frames.
(At least, as I understand)

I don't want to discuss reference frames ( not inertial ) because I think we all agree on the concepts of distance, straight line ..
This doesn't mean that we are right.
Its clear that we can't define all. Some concepts must come from intuition ( fundamentals concepts ) and then develop the others, and I think that a reference frame is a fundamental concept.

As you say Inertial reference frames are were apply Newton 1st law ( and 2nd and 3rd ?)
so you need mass, because Newtons laws apply to mass.
Its a hard work to me explain further, that's why I give a problem.

Related to Determine which reference frame is inertial

1. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system that is not accelerating or rotating. In other words, the laws of physics hold true in this frame and objects in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How do you determine if a reference frame is inertial?

A reference frame is considered inertial if it is not accelerating or rotating. This can be determined by observing the motion of objects within the frame and seeing if they move in a straight line at a constant velocity or if they experience any accelerations or changes in direction.

3. What is the importance of identifying an inertial reference frame?

Identifying an inertial reference frame is important in understanding and applying the laws of physics. It allows for accurate measurements and predictions of the motion of objects, as well as the ability to distinguish between real forces and apparent forces caused by non-inertial reference frames.

4. Can a reference frame be both inertial and non-inertial?

No, a reference frame is either inertial or non-inertial. It cannot be both at the same time. A frame may be inertial in one situation, but become non-inertial if it experiences acceleration or rotation.

5. How does general relativity relate to inertial reference frames?

General relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the laws of physics are consistent and do not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference, as long as it is inertial.