Determine whether the given function is odd or even

In summary, this question is asking whether the function ##f(x)## is an odd or even function. The function is neither odd nor even, as has already been shown. However, if the function had been ##f(x) = x^3 + 3x##, it would be an odd function. The last term, ##-1##, taken on its own, is even, and this prevents the function from being its own reflection across the origin and across the y-axis.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
consider the function:

##f(x)=x^3+3x−1##
Relevant Equations
odd or even functions concept
##f(x)=x^3+3x−1##

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok this was a question i saw on one paper...i will post the question and corresponding solution here:

1625797879307.png

1625797906375.png

which is fine with me, i can follow the steps.
My question is, ...is the question also analogous in asking whether the function is even or odd? in that case,
can one use ##f(-x)=-f(x)##? the function is not an even function because
##f(-x) ≠ f(x)##

on the other hand,
##f(-x)=-x^3-3x-1##
##-f(x)=-x^3-3x+1##=##-(x^3+3x)-1##...=##-f(x)## looks a bit interesting...

Last edited:
chwala said:
My question is, ...is the question also analogous in asking whether the function is even or odd? in that case,
can one use ##f(-x)=-f(x)##? the function is not an even function because
##f(-x)=f(x)##

on the other hand,
##f(-x)=-x^3-3x-1##
##-f(x)=-x^3-3x+1##=-(x^3+3x)-1##...=-f(x)## looks a bit interesting...
##-f(x) \ne f(-x) ##, so ##f## is not an odd function.

That should answer your question. The function is neither an odd nor even function.

interesting, good learning point ,noted... thanks Sammy. My last deduction
##-f(x)=-x^3-3x+1##=##-(x^3+3x)-1##=##-f(x)## was not correct.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
If the given function had been ##f(x) = x^3 + 3x##, it's easy to show that this is an odd function by use of the definition. Additionally, both ##x^3## and ##3x##, taken as functions on their own, are odd functions (i.e., their own reflection across the origin), and their sum is also an odd function.

However, ##f(x) = x^3 + x - 1 ## is neither odd nor even, as has already been shown. The last term, ##-1##, taken on its own, is an even function, and this prevents ##f(x) = x^3 + x - 1 ## from being its own reflection across the origin and across the y-axis, so it is neither odd nor even.

Likes Delta2 and chwala
Mark44 said:
If the given function had been ##f(x) = x^3 + 3x##, it's easy to show that this is an odd function by use of the definition. Additionally, both ##x^3## and ##3x##, taken as functions on their own, are odd functions (i.e., their own reflection across the origin), and their sum is also an odd function.

However, ##f(x) = x^3 + x - 1 ## is neither odd nor even, as has already been shown. The last term, ##-1##, taken on its own, is an even function, and this prevents ##f(x) = x^3 + x - 1 ## from being its own reflection across the origin and across the y-axis, so it is neither odd nor even.
Mark just confirm, last term##-1## is an even function? am not getting this...
It is a constant and not a function...clarify on this.

The constant function ##g(x)=-1## is even because $$g(x)=-1=g(-x)$$.

Likes chwala
ok, i will take this with a grain of salt, new to me :cool: . ##g## is a function of ##x##, of which clearly ##-1## is not. I guess maybe i need to check more on this delta.

chwala said:
ok, i will take this with a grain of salt, new to me :cool: . ##g## is a function of ##x##, of which clearly ##-1## is not. I guess maybe i need to check more on this delta.
ehm any constant number can be considered to be function of any variable, for example -1 can be considered to be a constant function of x, ##g(x)=-1## and also a constant function of z ##h(z)=-1##.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
chwala,
Maybe this helps.

Write the constant function, ##g(x)=-1## in slope-intercept form.

##g(x)=0\cdot (x)-1##

Likes Delta2 and chwala
thanks new to me though:oldlaugh:, cheers

Related to Determine whether the given function is odd or even

What is the definition of an odd function?

An odd function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x. This means that when you substitute a negative value for x, the output of the function will be the negative of the output when you substitute the positive value of x.

What is the definition of an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. This means that when you substitute a negative value for x, the output of the function will be the same as the output when you substitute the positive value of x.

How do you determine if a given function is odd or even?

To determine if a function is odd or even, you can substitute -x for x in the original function and simplify. If the resulting function is the negative of the original function, then the function is odd. If the resulting function is the same as the original function, then the function is even.

What is the significance of odd and even functions in mathematics?

Odd and even functions are important in mathematics because they exhibit certain symmetry properties that can help simplify calculations and solve equations. They also have specific properties that make them useful in applications such as signal processing and physics.

Can a function be both odd and even?

No, a function cannot be both odd and even. A function can only satisfy one of the properties of odd or even functions, not both. However, there are functions that are neither odd nor even, and these are called neither odd nor even functions.