Determine voltage - complete response

In summary: Ok l see. It is from Lapalce and problably you teacher is traying to say that when you have derivation on time domain it is equivalent to multiply by s in complex frecuency domain. For example:i=Cdv/dt is converted to I(s) = CsV(s) in complex frecuency domain.Anyway you have two ways to solve the problem one using diferential equations like...v
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on this question from the textbook:
upload_2017-2-13_19-32-4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-2-13_19-28-57.png

I would use Cramer's method and solve for i2, then get the characteristic equation and find the roots. from there I would attempt to find the natural response. I am not sure how I would find the forced response. I am not even sure that I am on the right track. I had a similar problem on an assignment and they solved using the damping coefficient alpha and resonant frequency omega. I do not know how to do that in this case if it is possible. I didn't want to do all of the calculations and waste my time if I am completely on the wrong track! Any explanations are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you intending to use Laplace Transforms to solve the circuit? I ask because it looks like you've introduced the s variable. Or is that just your approach for finding the characteristic equation? Note that a Laplace Transform approach would yield the complete response, both natural and forced, at the same time.

Still, I have to wonder about the way you're treating the capacitors. Looking at units, you've got capacitance times current times s equaling a voltage. I don't see that being correct (Treat the s variable as having units of 1/seconds).

I think your capacitor impedances should be of the form ##\frac{1}{s C}##.

I also note that you've left out the initial charge (voltage) on the first capacitor when you defined v1.

Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 113157

Homework Equations

View attachment 113156

I would use Cramer's method and solve for i2, then get the characteristic equation and find the roots. from there I would attempt to find the natural response. I am not sure how I would find the forced response. I am not even sure that I am on the right track. I had a similar problem on an assignment and they solved using the damping coefficient alpha and resonant frequency omega. I do not know how to do that in this case if it is possible. I didn't want to do all of the calculations and waste my time if I am completely on the wrong track! Any explanations are greatly appreciated.
I only could follow you up to the kvl on right and left side after that is dificult to understand.

You can apply Kvl or any circuit analysis technique and then you need to use the relation of current and voltage over a capacitor that is i(t) = Cdv/dt. After that you will get a differential equation and solve for v1(t).

Likes Cocoleia
Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 113157

Homework Equations

View attachment 113156

Is that s in your equations the s from Laplace transform? If so v(s) = 1/(sC)I(s) not v(s)=sCI(s). I recommend you use R1 R2 C1 C2 instead of the numbers so it is easy to follow equations.

Diegor said:
Is that s in your equations the s from Laplace transform? If so v(s) = 1/(sC)I(s) not v(s)=sCI(s). I recommend you use R1 R2 C1 C2 instead of the numbers so it is easy to follow equations.
I have no idea if it is Laplace... sometimes the professor puts s = d/dt

Cocoleia said:
Yes, in what's known as the Laplace Domain, the 's' variable is actually an operator. Multiplying by s is equivalent to differentiation, dividing by s is the equivalent of integration. It's an operator that you can manipulate like a variable in the Laplace Domain. It takes all the blood, sweat, and tears out of working with and solving differential equations :smile:

Likes Cocoleia
Cocoleia said:
Ok l see. It is from Lapalce and problably you teacher is traying to say that when you have derivation on time domain it is equivalent to multiply by s in complex frecuency domain. For example:

i=Cdv/dt is converted to I(s) = CsV(s) in complex frecuency domain.

Anyway you have two ways to solve the problem one using diferential equations like in my first answer or you can use Laplace transform. But i recommend you first solve it using diferential ecuations before jumping to more advanced methods.

Likes Cocoleia
Diegor said:
Anyway you have two ways to solve the problem one using diferential equations like in my first answer or you can use Laplace transform. But i recommend you first solve it using diferential ecuations before jumping to more advanced methods.
For example if I try to find the differential equations for this circuit:
upload_2017-2-13_21-13-47.png

Would it be what is boxed:
upload_2017-2-13_21-14-51.png

DSC_0355.JPG
The kcl is wrong. I still recommend you to use letters instead of numbers that way is easy to keep track. In the posted pictures I tried to show my point and also how it would look like in frec. domain
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0356.JPG
. I hope it helps.

Likes Cocoleia

Related to Determine voltage - complete response

What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is commonly measured in volts (V) and is a key component in determining the flow of electric current.

How is voltage determined?

Voltage can be determined using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This means that V = I x R. Voltage can also be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device specifically designed for this purpose.

What factors affect voltage?

The main factors that affect voltage are the amount of current flowing through a circuit and the resistance of the circuit. Other factors that may affect voltage include the type of material used for the conductors, the length of the circuit, and the presence of any external magnetic fields.

What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage is one that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage remains constant. Most household outlets use AC voltage, while batteries use DC voltage. AC voltage is generally used for long-distance power transmission, while DC voltage is used for electronic devices.

Why is it important to measure voltage in an electrical circuit?

Measuring voltage in an electrical circuit is important for several reasons. It helps to determine the health and functionality of the circuit, as well as identify any potential issues such as high or low voltage. It is also crucial in ensuring the safety of individuals working with or around the circuit, as high voltage can be dangerous.