Determine the wavelength of the scattered photon

In summary, the conversation discusses a Compton scattering experiment where a photon is scattered at a 90.0 degree angle and an electron is scattered at an 18.3 degree angle. The question asks for the wavelength of the scattered photon. The relevant equations are the Compton scattering formula and the conservation of energy and momentum. The solution involves assuming the electron is at rest and applying relativistic principles.
Mighalo

Homework Statement

In a Compton scattering experiment, a photon is scattered through an angle of 90.0deg, and the electron is scattered through an angle of 18.3deg. Determine the wavelength of the scattered photon

2. Relevant equation

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I'm confused. I don't know how to go about this question

Physics news on Phys.org
This is indeed a bit confusing. I suppose one can assume that the electron was at rest, and that 18.3 degree is the angle between the electron velocity and the continuation of the incoming photon.

Then apply conservation of energy and of momentum (relativistic).

Last edited:
Mighalo said:
I'm confused. I don't know how to go about this question

Have you looked at the Compton scattering formula? I'd start there.

Related to Determine the wavelength of the scattered photon

What is the process for determining the wavelength of a scattered photon?

The wavelength of a scattered photon can be determined by measuring the angle of scattering and using the Compton scattering formula, which takes into account the initial and final energies of the photon.

What is the Compton scattering formula?

The Compton scattering formula is λ' - λ = h/mc(1-cosθ), where λ' is the wavelength of the scattered photon, λ is the wavelength of the incident photon, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle of scattering.

How does the wavelength of a scattered photon relate to its energy?

The wavelength of a scattered photon is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the energy of the photon increases.

What factors can affect the wavelength of a scattered photon?

The wavelength of a scattered photon can be affected by the energy of the incident photon, the angle of scattering, and the mass of the scattering particle.

Can the wavelength of a scattered photon be measured experimentally?

Yes, the wavelength of a scattered photon can be measured experimentally by using specialized equipment such as X-ray diffraction or Compton scattering detectors.