Determine the unknown property of a perfect gas

In summary, we have 270 grams of argon at a pressure of 160kpa and a volume of 1.3 m^3. Using the equation pv=nrt, we can find the number of moles of argon to be 0.0067. However, when plugging this into the formula, the result is 3649.12 which is not correct. This may be due to the incorrect mass of one mole of argon being used.
thermo15378

Homework Statement

two hundred seventy grams of argon at a pressure of 160kpa and a volume of 1.3 m^3.

Homework Equations

pv=nrt

The Attempt at a Solution

(160^3)(1.3) = (.27)(8.31)(t)

208=2.2437t
t=92.7

Physics news on Phys.org
thermo15378 said:

Homework Statement

two hundred seventy grams of argon at a pressure of 160kpa and a volume of 1.3 m^3.

Homework Equations

pv=nrt

The Attempt at a Solution

(160^3)(1.3) = (.27)(8.31)(t)

208=2.2437t
t=92.7
Not quite. n is the number of moles. How many moles of argon in .27 kg of argon?

AM

0.0067 is what i get for moles but when i plug in the formula I am getting 3649.12 and that cannnot be right.

thermo15378 said:
0.0067 is what i get for moles but when i plug in the formula I am getting 3649.12 and that cannnot be right.
What is the mass of one mole of Argon?

AM

Based on the ideal gas law, we can determine the unknown property of this perfect gas by using the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. In this scenario, we are given the values for pressure, volume, and the gas (argon), but we are missing the temperature. By rearranging the equation and plugging in the known values, we can solve for the unknown temperature. The resulting temperature is 92.7 Kelvin (K). This calculation assumes that argon behaves as a perfect gas, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Further experiments and data may be needed to confirm this result.

Related to Determine the unknown property of a perfect gas

1. What is a perfect gas?

A perfect gas is an idealized model of gas behavior that follows the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases. It is a hypothetical gas that has the following characteristics: its molecules have negligible volume, there are no attractive or repulsive forces between molecules, and collisions between molecules are completely elastic.

2. How do you determine an unknown property of a perfect gas?

To determine an unknown property of a perfect gas, you can use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. By rearranging this equation and plugging in known values, you can solve for the unknown property.

3. What are the different properties of a perfect gas?

The properties of a perfect gas include pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. These properties are interrelated and can be described by the ideal gas law.

4. Can a real gas behave like a perfect gas?

No, a real gas cannot behave exactly like a perfect gas because real gases have volume and can experience attractive or repulsive forces between molecules. However, at low pressures and high temperatures, many gases behave similarly to a perfect gas and can be accurately described by the ideal gas law.

5. How does changing the temperature or pressure affect a perfect gas?

According to the ideal gas law, increasing the temperature of a perfect gas will cause an increase in its pressure, assuming the volume and number of moles remain constant. Similarly, increasing the pressure of a perfect gas will cause a decrease in its volume, assuming the temperature and number of moles remain constant.