Determine the total electrostatic potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of total electrostatic potential energy of a nonconducting sphere with a uniformly distributed total charge. The correct answer is found to be missing a factor of two in the denominator due to double counting of the interaction between two elements of charge.
hitemup

Homework Statement

Determine the total electrostatic potential energy of a nonconducting sphere of radius [itex]r_0[/itex] carrying a total charge [itex]Q[/itex] distributed uniformly thorughout its volume.

Homework Equations

U = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\rho = \frac{Q}{4/3\pi r_0^3} = \frac{dq}{4\pi r^2dr}[/tex]

Electric field inside a nonconductor sphere
[tex]V = \frac{kQ}{2r_0}(3-\frac{r^2}{r_0^2})[/tex]

[tex]dU = Vdq[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{kQ}{2r_0} (3 - \frac{r^2}{r_0^2}) \rho4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2kQ\pi\rho}{r_0}(3r^2 -\frac{r^4}{r_0^2} )dr[/tex]

After integrating it over [from zero to [itex]r_0[/itex]], I end up with the following result

[tex] \frac{3Q^2}{10\pi r_0 \epsilon_0}[/tex]

But the correct answer according to the textbook is this.

[tex]\frac{3Q^2}{20\pi r_0 \epsilon_0}[/tex]

It's almost the same result but missing a factor of two in the denominator. Is it because of the potential equation? Solutions manual uses potential at the surface, but in my answer I use potential inside a nonconductor. That may be the reason of 1/2. (kq/r_0 vs kq/2r_0* (3 - r^2/r_0^2))
RJZBQo.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a common mistake of "double counting". Suppose you had a system of 3 point charges. It is tempting to calculate the energy as ##U = \sum_{i=1}^3q_iV_i## where ##V_i## is the potential at the location of the ith charge due to the other two charges. But if you write out the terms explicitly you will see that you are counting the interaction of each pair of charges twice.

TSny said:
This is a common mistake of "double counting". Suppose you had a system of 3 point charges. It is tempting to calculate the energy as ##U = \sum_{i=1}^3q_iV_i## where ##V_i## is the potential at the location of the ith charge due to the other two charges. But if you write out the terms explicitly you will see that you are counting the interaction of each pair of charges twice.

I can see that we've double counted the pairs in your example. But where exactly am I doing that in my solution?

In the integral ##\int V dq##, ##V## represents the potential of the entire system at the point where ##dq## is located. So, consider two particular elements of charge ##dq_1## and ##dq_2##. The integral will include contributions ##V_1 dq_1## and ##V_2 dq_2##, where ##V_1## is the potential of the entire system at the location of ##dq_1## and ##V_2## is the potential of the entire system at ##dq_2##.

Note that ##V_1## will contain a contribution from ##dq_2## of the form ##\frac{k\; dq_2}{r_{12}}## where ##r_{12}## is the distance between ##dq_1## and ##dq_2##. So, the expression ##V_1 dq_1## contains a contribution of the form ##\frac{k\; dq_2\; dq_1}{r_{12}}##, which is the potential energy of interaction between ##dq_1## and ##dq_2##. But, by the same reasoning, you can see that ##V_2 dq_2## contains the same contribution again. So, the interaction between ##dq_1## and ##dq_2## is being counted twice.

Related to Determine the total electrostatic potential energy

1. What is electrostatic potential energy?

Electrostatic potential energy is the energy that exists between two or more electrically charged objects. It is the result of the attraction or repulsion between charged particles.

2. How is the total electrostatic potential energy determined?

The total electrostatic potential energy is determined by calculating the sum of the potential energy between each pair of charged particles in a system. This can be done using the formula U = kQ1Q2/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the total electrostatic potential energy?

The total electrostatic potential energy is affected by the charge of the particles, the distance between them, and the medium in which they exist. The medium can alter the electric field and therefore impact the potential energy between the particles.

4. How does electrostatic potential energy differ from other forms of energy?

Unlike other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy, electrostatic potential energy is a type of potential energy. This means that it is stored energy that has the potential to do work, but is not currently in motion.

5. Why is the concept of electrostatic potential energy important in science?

The concept of electrostatic potential energy is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles and their interactions. It is also crucial in fields such as electricity, magnetism, and atomic physics, as it allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about these systems.