Determine the total charge on the surface?

In summary, according to the homework statement, a hollow metal sphere has inner and outer radii of 20.0 cm and 30.0 cm, respectively. A solid metal sphere of radius 10.0 cm is located at the center of the hollow sphere. The electric field at a point P, a distance of 15.0 cm from the center, is found to be E1 = 1.53·104 N/C, directed radially inward. At point Q, a distance of 35.0 cm from the center, the electric field is found to be E2 = 1.53·104 N/C, directed radially outward.
nuagerose

Homework Statement

A hollow metal sphere has inner and outer radii of 20.0 cm and 30.0 cm, respectively. As shown in the figure, a solid metal sphere of radius 10.0 cm is located at the center of the hollow sphere. The electric field at a point P, a distance of 15.0 cm from the center, is found to be E1 = 1.53·104 N/C, directed radially inward. At point Q, a distance of 35.0 cm from the center, the electric field is found to be E2 = 1.53·104 N/C, directed radially outward.

Image of the problem: http://postimg.org/image/6cnneik69/

a) Determine the total charge on the surface of the inner sphere.
b) Determine the total charge on the surface of the inner surface of the hollow sphere.
c) Determine the total charge on the surface of the outer surface of the hollow sphere.

Homework Equations

∫∫[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] * [itex]\vec{dA}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{q_{enc}}{E_{0}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I believe that the charge on the inner sphere from point P would be negative, since it is directed radially inward, while the charge on the inner sphere from point Q would be positive.
If I plug in the values into the equation above, then add them together, would I arrive at the correct answer?

I am still working on part (b) and (c), but want to make sure that I've set up part (a) correctly first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the direct link of image and put it in
[/IMG} tags replacing } with ]
[ATTACH=full]163767[/ATTACH]
Or attach it as an attachment.

Attachments

• P056figure_new.png
    P056figure_new.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 821
  • P056figure_new.png
    P056figure_new.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
nuagerose said:
For part (a), I believe that the charge on the inner sphere from point P would be negative, since it is directed radially inward, while the charge on the inner sphere from point Q would be positive.
If I plug in the values into the equation above, then add them together, would I arrive at the correct answer?
Charge of inner sphere doesn't change with respect to different points. So 'charge on sphere from P' this statement is wrong. It is only electric field that changes.
Gauss law gives total charge enclosed by a surface. So for a spherical gaussian surface concentric with inner sphere and radius 15 cm i.e. passing through p shall enclose what charge?

Enigman said:
Charge of inner sphere doesn't change with respect to different points. So 'charge on sphere from P' this statement is wrong. It is only electric field that changes.
Gauss law gives total charge enclosed by a surface. So for a spherical gaussian surface concentric with inner sphere and radius 15 cm i.e. passing through p shall enclose what charge?

For the outer spherical shell, would it enclose the charge of the inner sphere?

Also, given your explanation, I can then use the known electric field value at point P to calculate the charge of the inner sphere? From there, how do I work toward the charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the outer shell? I think that the inner surface of the outer shell would be the same as the charge of the inner sphere, correct?

nuagerose said:
For the outer spherical shell, would it enclose the charge of the inner sphere?
Yep.
Also, given your explanation, I can then use the known electric field value at point P to calculate the charge of the inner sphere?
Yep.
From there, how do I work toward the charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the outer shell? I think that the inner surface of the outer shell would be the same as the charge of the inner sphere, correct?
Yeah, but you will need to prove that.Oh, and welcome to PF!
What's your favourite fish?

Related to Determine the total charge on the surface?

1. How do you determine the total charge on a surface?

To determine the total charge on a surface, you will need to calculate the sum of all the individual charges present on the surface. This can be done by using the equation Q = Ne, where Q is the total charge, N is the number of charges present, and e is the elementary charge.

2. What units are used to measure the total charge on a surface?

The total charge on a surface is typically measured in Coulombs (C), which is the standard unit of electric charge in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can the total charge on a surface be negative?

Yes, the total charge on a surface can be negative. This indicates that there is an excess of negative charges on the surface, or a deficiency of positive charges.

4. How does the total charge on a surface affect its properties?

The total charge on a surface can affect its properties in various ways. For example, a surface with a high positive charge can attract negatively charged particles, while a surface with a high negative charge can repel them. Additionally, the total charge on a surface can also impact its electrical conductivity and surface tension.

5. What methods can be used to measure the total charge on a surface?

There are several methods that can be used to measure the total charge on a surface, including the use of an electrometer, a Faraday cup, or a Kelvin probe. These methods involve directly measuring the electric potential or charge on the surface and using equations to calculate the total charge.