Determine the strain rate for a material fiber

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the strain rate for a material fiber in the direction of the surface normal, with the given velocity field and a steady, planar flow. The equations and steps to finding the unit normal vector are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a clarification on how to choose appropriate vectors for the cross product.
LeFerret

Homework Statement

Determine the Strain Rate for a Material Fiber in the direction of the surface normal.

The Velocity Field is
V=((4y-3x)i+(5x+3y)j) ft/s

http://puu.sh/9hQ7Q/2bda80620f.jpg is the picture

which describes a steady, planar flow

where i and j are unit vectors.

Homework Equations

n * (n * ∇) V

where n is the unit normal, and * are dot products.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the solution to this itself is very simple, it is just math, my biggest issue though is how do I find the unit normal vector? I have no idea where to begin, any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your figure, the z axis lies within the plane, and the point 1,1,1 lies within the plane. Do you know how to determine a unit normal to this plane?

Also, the rate of deformation tensor is 1/2 the velocity gradient tensor and its transpose, not just the velocity gradient tensor.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
In your figure, the z axis lies within the plane, and the point 1,1,1 lies within the plane. Do you know how to determine a unit normal to this plane?

Also, the rate of deformation tensor is 1/2 the velocity gradient tensor and its transpose, not just the velocity gradient tensor.

Chet

The only thing I can think of is a cross product of two vectors.
If I defined two vectors from the origin to the coordinates (0,0,1) and (1,1,0) and crossed them, this would give me -i+j
however the solution is sqrt(2)/2(-i+j) and I'm not sure where that common factor is coming from

LeFerret said:
The only thing I can think of is a cross product of two vectors.
If I defined two vectors from the origin to the coordinates (0,0,1) and (1,1,0) and crossed them, this would give me -i+j
however the solution is sqrt(2)/2(-i+j) and I'm not sure where that common factor is coming from
(1,1,0) is not a unit vector. Divide it by its magnitude, and you will see where the sqrt(2)/2 came from. Another way to get the unit vector normal to the plane is just to draw a diagram of the intersection of the plane with the x-y plane.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
(1,1,0) is not a unit vector. Divide it by its magnitude, and you will see where the sqrt(2)/2 came from. Another way to get the unit vector normal to the plane is just to draw a diagram of the intersection of the plane with the x-y plane.

Chet

In general, when given something like, this how would I know which vectors to use for my cross product?

LeFerret said:
In general, when given something like, this how would I know which vectors to use for my cross product?
Any two convenient in-plane unit vectors will do the trick. But often, it's easier to draw a diagram with a unit normal to the plane, and resolve it into components in the coordinate directions.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Any two convenient in-plane unit vectors will do the trick. But often, it's easier to draw a diagram with a unit normal to the plane, and resolve it into components in the coordinate directions.

Chet

Ah I see, thank you.

Related to Determine the strain rate for a material fiber

What is strain rate and why is it important?

Strain rate is a measure of the rate at which a material deforms or stretches under stress. It is important because it helps determine the strength and durability of a material.

How is strain rate calculated?

Strain rate is calculated by dividing the change in length of a material by the original length and the time it takes for the change to occur. It is typically expressed in units of strain per second.

What factors can affect the strain rate of a material fiber?

The strain rate of a material fiber can be affected by factors such as temperature, loading conditions, and the composition and structure of the material itself.

What is the difference between a high strain rate and a low strain rate?

A high strain rate refers to a rapid deformation of a material, while a low strain rate refers to a slower deformation. The choice of strain rate to use in testing a material will depend on its intended application and the conditions it will be subjected to.

How is strain rate testing performed on material fibers?

Strain rate testing involves applying a controlled amount of stress to a material fiber and measuring its resulting deformation over a specific period of time. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a universal testing machine or a strain gauge.