Determine The Speed of a Charge at a given point

In summary, the question asks for the speed of a charge released from the origin with given electric potential function V= 3x^2 + 2xy +(y^2)z + 20 at point (1,1,-1). However, the question is flawed as a positive charge would need an external force to go from lower to higher potential.
Agent 337737

Homework Statement

Given: The electric potential function: V= 3x^2 + 2xy +(y^2)z + 20
a) A 4 coulombs, 2kg charge is released from the origin. Determine the speed of the charge at (1,1,-1)

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy= 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the fact that the change in potential energy is equal to the negative change in kinetic energy.
I calculated the change in electric potential to be 4 V and set that equal to the negative change in kinetic energy, which would just be -1/2 mv^2
However, when I solve for the velocity, I get the square root of negative 4. Have I done something wrong or is the problem just flawed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right. The question is flawed. A positive charge will not go from lower to higher potential without some external force.

Related to Determine The Speed of a Charge at a given point

What is the speed of a charge?

The speed of a charge refers to how fast an electric charge is moving at a given point in time. It is a measure of the rate at which the charge is traveling through a particular medium.

How is the speed of a charge determined?

The speed of a charge can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the charge by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time.

What factors can affect the speed of a charge?

The speed of a charge can be affected by the type of charge (positive or negative), the amount of charge, the type of medium it is traveling through, and any external forces acting on the charge.

Can the speed of a charge change?

Yes, the speed of a charge can change. It can change if the charge is subjected to a force, such as an electric field. It can also change if the medium it is traveling through changes.

Why is it important to determine the speed of a charge at a given point?

Determining the speed of a charge at a given point is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric charges in a particular system. It can also help in troubleshooting and optimizing electrical circuits and devices.