Determine the rate of emission of quanta from the station

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the rate of emission of quanta from a radio station operating at a frequency of 103.7MHz with a power output of 200kW. The first question is answered by finding the energy of one photon and using it to determine the number of quanta emitted per second. The second question involves treating the radio station as a point source and using the power and distance to calculate the intensity, which is then used to find the photon density and ultimately the number of photons inside a cubical radio located 15km away. The correct answer is 2.74e10 photons.
queenstudy

Homework Statement

A radio station operates at a frequency 103.7MHz with a power output of 200kW.
1)Determine the rate of emission of quanta from the station.
2)If we treat the radio station as a point source radiatng uniformly in all directions, find the number of photons inside a cubical radio 20cm on a side located 15km away from the radio station

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) i solved it by finding the energy of one photon and then N/t= 200000/Energy of one photon =2.91 *10^30 quanta/s
2) I thought that the power i have should be multiplied by 4∏d^2 / a^2 where a is the side of the radio and d is the distance from the source to the radio box and then i have the time needed to reach the dario which is d/c so the number of photons is to be 2.75*10^10 photons but it didnt please help

Physics news on Phys.org
queenstudy said:

Homework Statement

A radio station operates at a frequency 103.7MHz with a power output of 200kW.
1)Determine the rate of emission of quanta from the station.

1) i solved it by finding the energy of one photon and then N/t= 200000/Energy of one photon =2.91 *10^30 quanta/s
Didn't check your math, but the argument is correct.

2)If we treat the radio station as a point source radiatng uniformly in all directions, find the number of photons inside a cubical radio 20cm on a side located 15km away from the radio station

2) I thought that the power i have should be multiplied by 4∏d^2 / a^2 where a is the side of the radio and d is the distance from the source to the radio box and then i have the time needed to reach the dario which is d/c so the number of photons is to be 2.75*10^10 photons but it didnt please help
Not sure how did you get the "size of the radio". But dividing the power by the area of the sphere of radius d, you get power per area (Intensity):
[itex]I = P/A[/itex]
Intensity is related to energy density [itex]u[/itex] (energy per volume) and speed [itex]v[/itex] of photon by:
[itex]I = u v[/itex]
From energy density, you can calculate photon density. Then using the volume of the radio, you can compute the number of photons. I got 2.74e10 photons.

that is the exact answer thank you mathfeel

mathfeel said:
Didn't check your math, but the argument is correct.

Not sure how did you get the "size of the radio". But dividing the power by the area of the sphere of radius d, you get power per area (Intensity):
[itex]I = P/A[/itex]
Intensity is related to energy density [itex]u[/itex] (energy per volume) and speed [itex]v[/itex] of photon by:
[itex]I = u v[/itex]
From energy density, you can calculate photon density. Then using the volume of the radio, you can compute the number of photons. I got 2.74e10 photons.

can you tell me how did you calculate the energy density and photon density?

queenstudy said:
can you tell me how did you calculate the energy density and photon density?

In my reply #2, I gave two definitions of the same quantity I. By equating them, you can compute u.

u is energy / volume. You also know how much energy is in each photon. So you can get photon / volume.

thank you very much i now understand it , the good thing is learning a new concept called photon density

Related to Determine the rate of emission of quanta from the station

1. What is the rate of emission of quanta from the station?

The rate of emission of quanta from the station refers to the number of quanta (particles of electromagnetic radiation) that are being emitted from the station per unit time. It is a measure of the station's energy output.

2. How is the rate of emission of quanta from the station determined?

The rate of emission of quanta from the station can be determined through various methods, such as measuring the intensity of the emitted radiation, counting the number of emitted particles, or using specialized instruments like photodiodes or spectrometers.

3. What factors can affect the rate of emission of quanta from the station?

The rate of emission of quanta from the station can be affected by several factors, including the energy source of the station, the temperature of the emitting material, and the physical properties of the surrounding environment.

4. Why is it important to determine the rate of emission of quanta from the station?

Determining the rate of emission of quanta from the station is crucial for understanding the station's energy output and its impact on the surrounding environment. It can also provide valuable insights into the station's efficiency and performance.

5. How can the rate of emission of quanta from the station be used in scientific research?

The rate of emission of quanta from the station can be used in various scientific research, such as studying the properties of the emitted radiation, investigating the effects of the station on its surroundings, and developing new technologies for energy production and emission control.